What's wrong with our Democracy

No MP is elected by a majority of their constituents, ie. 50% +1. The majority of people who vote, vote not for the candidate who gets elected.
Only one comes close.

Arrse's favourite MP Diane Abbot, with 49.69% of eligible voters in her constituency. Turnout was 66.2%

Or 75.1% of Turnout and a majority 35,139

The majority of constituents do not vote.
Quite patently not true in Hackney North & Stoke Newington with it's 66.2% turnout. And probably not true of a good few other constituencies too.

Perhaps we should only allow MPs from those constituencies that turn out 50% +1 of the registered electors to enter parliament or form governments? If the buggers don't make the effort to take part, then sod 'em. Could cut the wages and expenses bill if the HoC had only 100 or so members!

Source: Rt Hon Diane Abbott MP

Last edited:
Only one comes close.

Arrse's favourite MP Diane Abbot, with 49.69% of eligible voters in her constituency. Turnout was 66.2%

Or 75.1% of Turnout and a majority

Quite patently not true in Hackney North & Stoke Newington with it's 66.2% turnout. And probably not true of a good few other constituencies too.

Perhaps we should only allow MPs from those constituencies that turn out 50% +1 of the registered electors to enter parliament or form governments? If the buggers don't make the effort to take part, then sod 'em. Could cut the wages and expenses bill if the HoC had only 100 or so members!

Source: Rt Hon Diane Abbott MP
To be honest, I'd forgotten I'd created this thread and I've certainly forgotten any content I've posted.

While I'm still vaguely interested in democracy, I now lack the ability to construct or defend arguments; I simply cannot think in sufficient depth about anything. I'm only able to respond to certain points when triggered.

I hope I've made a reasoned, coherent argument about whatever my point was, even if there are some factual inaccuracies.

Latest Threads