Whats wrong with ArmyNET?

Discussion in 'ArmyNet Announcements' started by andypaddock, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's been a lot of back end work going on with AN and when ever that happens the front end development always stagnates.

I'd like to know what frustrates you with ArmyNET, be aware that I can't suddenly give you access to JPA or make the CofC get more involved but I can look into issues people have with the front end.

2. JPA is the crux.

If Tommy knows he can get on JPA via ArmyNET, he'll be all over it like a rash.

If the CofC haven't worked this out yet, then frankly, the battle's already lost.

Adjt

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Nothing massively wrong with it Andy but the search function is still a bit woolly. I can normally find the stuff I'm after eventually but only once I've come up with the perfect search phrase (usually more by luck than judgement).

The icons on the top right; some of them are self-explanatory (letter for email, pound sign for pay) but the others are a bit vague. A pop up when you hover over them would be good.

4. Sixty

The search function relies on page creators adding appropriate keywords when they create pages. I've started to change the way we create keywords and the weight that the search applies (make it less dependent on page creator input) but its a bit of a black art and any examples would be great.

The mystery meat navigation is one of the things I hate most about the current UI but I did add some tool tips a few weeks ago which I thought where cross browser but if some still can't see them I may have to revisit.

Thanks for your time

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Sorry, you're right enough; I've just gone on and checked (Google Chrome) and the tool tips are there. It's been a while since I last logged in and I hadn't spotted them.

6. Morning Staff, so why are you working on Saturday?
    You know my main gripe already — the backwards step taken by the ArmyNET-hosted Sharepoint when the ability to edit online or interact with lists was removed — any light at the end of the tunnel on that score?

7. As has been said before, JPA. It's a must have.

8. msr

msr LE

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Since the new security features kicked in last year I have never been able to get back in which is a shame as I was involved in a few interesting vet forums.

10. I had to log in just to see - still tittering. He's sooo rude, that MSR.

As I can't be in my office every day, it'd be really useful if the pay pages would give me a peek at my payslip at the same point that I could get it from JPA if I had physical access. There are two months still showing, 'Sorry we haven't received your payslip from JPA yet', and that's pretty crap - how hard can it be to export the data on the same day it publishes on JPA?

11. Their link (DETS(A)) should work in 20 minutes for the BAR

Creating a forum is dependant on getting willing volunteers to act as moderators. I can ask but if they don't see a requirement I doubt they would go for it.

Can you give me a bit more to go on for the friendly issue?

12. The two busiest and most forums (Feedback to CGS and Feedback to the Army Board) have been locked since Sep 09. It says that there is no Moderator. Have you actually asked anyone to take over or are we to assume that no is interested in what soldiers have to say?

13. msr

msr LE

Yes:

1) What's with the ridiculous toolbar along the top?

2) None of the nav bits on the LHS change anything on the right - all the links are still there

3) Why not just hide the links which link to the RLI when someone has connected from outside the RLI as they are not ging to be able to read them anyway?

msr

14. I can talk you through an alternate access method that will allow you access using windows integration.

Can you email me (using ArmyNET) so I can confirm your identity

15. What he said. Less for the bit about Vets.

msr, have you got your own log-in yet?????