What's with the Foot Guards' OR peaked caps?

warmonger82

Old-Salt
Across the forces of English speaking nations the peaked cap is ubiquitous as the head gear for service and dress uniforms.

9867d042fd66bc8fbc43f30b38cef9e4.jpg

Royal Anglian Regiment

aponey-2017-011-afc-pass-off-149.jpg

AFC Harrogate

RM.jpg

Royal Marines

CtJxNFBWgAEYXpw.jpg

USMC

general-alexander-mcintyre-chief-of-staff-rhodesian-army-1980-1980-AC5WRB.jpg

No needed to mention where he's from...

All these peaked caps generally conform to the same basic outline/shape, so how did the Guards' OR caps become so different?

guards1.jpeg

The peaks are flush with the guardsmen's foreheads

Yet the caps of the Guards officers remain more in line with everyone else

medal-ceremony-for-the-1st-battalion-the-grenadier-guards-at-wellington-barracks-london-britai...jpg

The only thing remotely similar the that comes to mind are the old "peakless" OR caps of the pre WWI royal marines

post-555-0-96037700-1480979487_thumb.jpg

and the old pre-1970 US Coast Guard caps

59974a46a0459.image.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And much copied by drill pigs in a variety of Corps and Regiments. I do like a story my Dad told me when he was a serving RAF Officer (RAF Police). He was stopped by two RMP JNCO'S because his greatcoat wasn't done up. My Dad showed them his ID card and they kept referring to him as "Airman". In the end he remove his coat, revealing his two rings of no confidence, made the two JNCO'S put their heels together, and then ripped them both a new ******** for failing to recognise an Officer, failing to salute an Officer and being on duty incorrectly dressed; both had slashed the peaks of their caps! He was, at the time a Deputy Assistant Provost Marshall.

I've no idea, but I've often wondered whether they have access to mirrors because they look feckin stupid.
It belongs in here.

CatsEyes

War Hero
I always think that some of the more extreme slashed peaks make the wearer look quite "speshul". Don't get me started on pancake berets with the badge hidden!

warmonger82

Old-Salt
Here's a video of Sgt John Kenneally receiving the VC in Tunisia. Around 1:00 min you can see the slashed peak caps of the guardsmen, but they don't look nearly as severe as the modern iterations of headgear

I may have mentioned this before.
I once saw a programme featuring traffic police officers, one of whom had a slashed peak. Except he didn’t. What he did have was a monstrosity that was basically a folded down peak. It genuinely looked as if he’d bent it over a straight edge.

Thought it was to make you hold your head high so you could see where you are going.I think it looks good.

I think that slashed peaks were an improvised feature tolerated or otherwise according to the whim of the corps or regiment or the role of the individual.

Are guards, household cavalry etc 1 dress or SD headdress supplied and issued in that form?

It’s a fine example of the cruelty of the army. You are issued a piece of kit and told to modify it by your superiors. Then when you hand it in on leaving you are billed for mutilating kit issued by HMG.

warmonger82

Old-Salt
I think that slashed peaks were an improvised feature tolerated or otherwise according to the whim of the corps or regiment or the role of the individual.

Are guards, household cavalry etc 1 dress or SD headdress supplied and issued in that form?
Looks like they are...

40417589_1967278940002242_5141358492224847872_n.jpg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And much copied by drill pigs in a variety of Corps and Regiments. I do like a story my Dad told me when he was a serving RAF Officer (RAF Police). He was stopped by two RMP JNCO'S because his greatcoat wasn't done up. My Dad showed them his ID card and they kept referring to him as "Airman". In the end he remove his coat, revealing his two rings of no confidence, made the two JNCO'S put their heels together, and then ripped them both a new ******** for failing to recognise an Officer, failing to salute an Officer and being on duty incorrectly dressed; both had slashed the peaks of their caps! He was, at the time a Deputy Assistant Provost Marshall.
If your Dad was in an issued greatcoat then his rank would have been displayed on his shoulder epaulettes, or he would have been improperly dressed!

Does he just draw some little hands on there in lieu of a watch?
Stealth watch, SAS issue.

I've got one for sale if anyone's interested.
£99.99 free P&P.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Stealth watch, SAS issue.

I've got one for sale if anyone's interested.
£99.99 free P&P.
Is that the one with the certificate of authenticity signed by Stirling and Mayne last year?

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If your Dad was in an issued greatcoat then his rank would have been displayed on his shoulder epaulettes, or he would have been improperly dressed!
He was an Occifer and made his own rules being a Blue Job Provost.

Latest Threads