What's Up At KFC?

Remains to be seen, I think. It's one thing f*cking up. It's how you are seen to manage the f*ck-up thereafter that is even more important.

A lesson Oxfam are learning right now.

This is a tiny part of DHL's business. They'll bounce back from it
If KFC tried to go back to Bidvest they would get their trousers taken down and supply probably wouldn't be restored any quicker.

I'm at a meeting on Thursday where DHL's UK SC Director will be in attendance (if he's survived) - I'll ask him what's going on...

I remember getting lost somewhere in Manchester driving a truck delivering fresh veg, some huge prinout unit on dash with temperatures on, I'd no idea what it all meant.
I was parked outside a Safeway (I think) about 0300hrs, fridge unit on truck I'd not thought about the noise, was on a housing estate looking at my map, some bloke screaming out of his window about the noise. Well pal it was worse than that the unitainer with your veg on fell over and all the mushrooms went on the floor, hope he shopped there.
I dealt with an incident years ago where a bloke had a lorry with a fridge unit parked next to his shop, neighbours complained about the noise, he told em tough, so somebody lobbed a grenade at it one night.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I believe only 20% or so of KFC are actually owned by KFC, the rest are franchises. No idea what the contract for franchises are and if they can sue KFC for failure to deliver the products needed.
Ah yes. Franchise. Having been involved in setting up and running a couple, heres the deal.

A franchise is a rip. Dont care if you pay £5k for the right to paint kids bedrooms with stars or £600k for McD. Its a rip. The money you pay for marketing, PR, merchandising, product, HR, training and all that is peanuts. What you are actually paying for is the franchise contract. We were pretty small-end compared to KFC but the franchise contract cost north of £200k.

Typically, franchisees are beguiled by suits at The Franchise Show at NEC or wherever. Then they get taken out to lunch and made to feel like entrepreneurs. A future Gordon Gekko. By the time they part with folding and sign on the line they are too sugared-up to read 84 pages of 8 point type in the franchise contract. Like they dont read the T&Cs when they download an app, right.

So, when distilled, what is a franchise contract? Good question. It is best typified by this scene from the movie Godfellas (substitute Pauly for the franchise contract). I very much doubt KFC franchisees will see a refund on account of having no chicken to sell.

Having worked for a company delivering temperature controlled goods (not food) and seeing some of the blagging there, I do.
I was being a c***, out of character I know as I'm usually a t***.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
We're talking about DHL right now. More importantly, so will be the people who make things happen and who use logistics companies.
nail on head. Loads of firms who were in clarts are now back in the game. Ryan Air, BA, Oxfam will be back rattling tins before Spring. Because the GFP has a short attention span and the next shiny thing is just around the corner.

DHL do not deal with the GFP. They deal with bean counters. Who are less forgiving.

That said, Crapita were still trading last time I looked.

This is a tiny part of DHL's business. They'll bounce back from it
If KFC tried to go back to Bidvest they would get their trousers taken down and supply probably wouldn't be restored any quicker.
Bidvest have laid of the workforce attached to the KFC contract so it might take even longer to get up and running.

Russell Hume Ltd has gone into administration following their hygiene fiasco leading to Wetherspoons and others binning them as butchery suppliers - not quite the same I know but it doesn't always take a lot to topple the whole house of cards.

Bidvest have laid of the workforce attached to the KFC contract so it might take even longer to get up and running.

Russell Hume Ltd has gone into administration following their hygiene fiasco leading to Wetherspoons and others binning them as butchery suppliers - not quite the same I know but it doesn't always take a lot to topple the whole house of cards.
Oooer... 2 Sisters are looking a bit shaky, as well. Might as well just stop eating chicken.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Didnt know that about Russell Hume going bust due to selling poison meat. But theres a theme here. Russell Hume, Carillion, DHL, Crapita....

Two ways to make money. 1) Deliver excellent product / service at best price (Wetherspoons, IKEA etc)

2) Chip everybody everywhere (DHL, Carillion, Crapita and while I'm on, Tesco)

Russell Hume were shafted by the FSA who didn't have enough personnel to do a proper audit and investigation and therefore took the easy option and went straight to nuclear.

I used to do occasional auditing on a couple of large companies, one of which made aircraft components, not saying which bits as it would give the game away, but we caught one of their process chemists falsifying records for chemical surface treatment. Basically, he appeared to be doing the work, but wasn't doing the paperwork, and just before we the auditors arrived, filled in a load of QC sheets with semi-random data.

One of my colleagues clocked it when he noticed that two sheets had exactly the same sequence of numbers on them. On further investigation, it was clear that several sheets had been copied from previous results.

The offending idiot was sacked on the spot after a brief interview. His excuse? "All the values fall within the same range, so what does it matter?"

The cost was the immediate recall of just shy of £2M worth of components for re-work. The site closed 12 months later and production was transferred to another site in the group.

It will be interesting to see what reputational damage DHL and Kentucky Fried Cat suffer in the longer term.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I used to do occasional auditing on a couple of large companies, one of which made aircraft components....

The offending idiot was sacked on the spot after a brief interview. His excuse? "All the values fall within the same range, so what does it matter?"
I don't suppose you have the home address of the idiot? I fly a fair bit. So does my wife and family. I wouldn't mind a quiet chat with the chap. Thanks.

Thankfully it was about 10 years ago.
I was pretty p!ssed too because we lost a good customer when they closed the site.
I'd love to tell you his name and where he lived but maybe not....although I do remember his name and the town he lived in.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thankfully it was about 10 years ago.
I was pretty p!ssed too because we lost a good customer when they closed the site.
I'd love to tell you his name and where he lived but maybe not....although I do remember his name and the town he lived in.
Surname and postcode is all I need.

Back on topic... the weakest link? Easy to say a chain is strong. Much harder to spot the weak link. Remember about 10 years ago, HMRC lost data for tens of thousands of punters on a CD disk?

All sorts of protocols in place. Needed 3 sigs to copy the data then 2 more to download onto physical then a chain with more sigs to a secure courier.

Then Davey in Dispatch (on minimum wage) decides he cant be arrsed filling in forms. "I'll just ring for a bike courier". The CD vanished without trace.