Whats unusual with this War Memorial

Access denied, so no.

Its gora load of swastika's on it, but british names.

*Edit* shall try to put the pic up

The swastikas? (Beaten to it ... That's what I get for surfing while working.)

Linky no worky round eye!

But if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's either the disturbing red lettering, or the fact that' it's covered in swastikas.

Its gora load of swastika's on it, but british names.
Those aren't swastikas. They face the wrong way so must be some Hindu/Buddist/Jainism thing.

So probably Indian troops.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Buddhist Swastikas are a tad unusual.

Linky no worky round eye!

But if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's either the disturbing red lettering, or the fact that' it's covered in swastikas.
Yes to both, any idea why?

Indeed its the Swastikas (both correct way round and incorrect). We get a lot of tourists completely confused as to why they are on the Memorial and thats why the explaination was added to it. I think the resident "Royal Guard"got fed up with being asked...as they did not know themselves....

The swastika is also used on Church linen as a Christian symbol, it is a cross after all (Hakenkreuz). There are some examples in our parish church in Yorkshire.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Those aren't swastikas.

They are swastikas. Swastika is a Sanskrit word and is used to describe the variances of the hooked cross symbol in the Indian sub-continent. In Hinduism it means different things depending on which way it's facing.

The Nazi version was called the Hakenkreuz, I don't know if Germans ever used the term Swastika.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Intelligence Cell 11
E Jobs (Discussion) 7
Masterchef The Intelligence Cell 22