Whats to join the infantry (reserve) but fat

This.

I was talking with a physio mate yesterday. He and I were talking about fitness in middle age (I hit 50 last year, he's in his 40s).

He was saying that of his patients the people he sees with knee problems are all long-term runners. He doesn't see cyclists or swimmers.

If you're at the bottom of the fitness curve, don't run, as @Spec-op1989 says. Start with walking excessively fast - you'll get as much gain as with a slow jog but without the impact. You'll also help with bone density.

Think about it: if you're two stone overweight and you go running, you're effectively running with almost the equivalent of a 30lb pack on. A lot of fit people would struggle with that.

The point is, there will be times as an infanteer that you're going to have to pound the streets/climb hills with weight. You will still need roadwork and hillwork; conditioning to a type of activity is important and the only way get used to humping a bergen is humping a bergen. You also need to build/maintain bone density. I've mentioned this above but it's hugely important. Shin splints will end your career.

There's nothing you can do about that but you can maintain your fitness in other ways at other times.

OP, get in the pool, get on a bike, get a grip of your diet. Especially at the beginning.
I have a good friend who is a Dutch physiotherapist , great guy . Saw him yesterday about my hurt knee. I did the run abounty thing in the 1980ies and 1990ies with DMS and full backpack and then boots combat high and Burgans And other courses like jumping out of working aircraft. I never knew until yesterday that we only have cartilage in a few places , like the ribs, knees and hips. Once you break it . It’s fucced. Does not regrow or replace.

Go steady if you are a bit heavy. Lose the weight first.

I have a good friend who is a Dutch physiotherapist , great guy . Saw him yesterday about my hurt knee. I did the run abounty thing in the 1980ies and 1990ies with DMS and full backpack and then boots combat high and Burgans And other courses like jumping out of working aircraft. I never knew until yesterday that we only have cartilage in a few places , like the ribs, knees and hips. Once you break it . It’s fucced. Does not regrow or replace.

Go steady if you are a bit heavy. Lose the weight first.

I had a medical for off-shore work a whole ago.

Very thorough.

The medic asked if I'd ever been in the Army or Marines.

Puzzled, i said yes, and asked how they knew.

"You've got the heart and lungs of a 25 year old and the knees of a septugenarian" came the answer.

Watch your persec mate.

@The_Duke it worth editing that post?
I doubt it unless people can search prospective PhDs. Unless they are published before the viva (and I am almost certain they aren't) the bloke's fine.

I doubt it unless people can search prospective PhDs. Unless they are published before the viva (and I am almost certain they aren't) the bloke's fine.
Groovy.

I'm not concerned enough to Yahoogle it up, just wondered if University departments are open online about what research is going on, possibly with staff profiles, on that Internet thing they have these days.

Groovy.

I'm not concerned enough to Yahoogle it up, just wondered if University departments are open online about what research is going on, possibly with staff profiles, on that Internet thing they have these days.
My experience is considerably outdated (a decade ago) but back then you would have been lucky to get your picture and vague department shown. A PhD title wouldn't have been known until the candidate submitted, faced a viva and it was published.

Thank you,

A general 'day' of food for me:

Breakfast:
Bacon and Egg sandwich
Can of coke

Dinner:
Cornish pasty and a bar of chocolate

Tea:
Some sort of home-made roast dinner or curry

I have got a sweet tooth and this is why I've got FBS (fat-bastard syndrome)

I am determined to get this weight off, and join the infantry reserves (3 RW). So will take your advice on the long walks and swimming.

Who'd have thought that the woke culture that comes out of University; yet, the food on campus is shit!
you need a lifestyle change matey boy. tweaking your diet to bin a bacon and egg sarny aint going to do it and you will drift back into bad habits and remain a fat fcuker.

If you are committed to infantry, you need a fundamental change or you simply will not make it. Lifestyle. Examine it before you embark on anything, then start as you mean to go on. Do that and you will change your life and who knows, you may even make a good infantryman.

good luck with it and we’ll done for being big enough to ask an honest question on here!!

I seem to recall a while ago there was a chap 'on the large side' who wanted to join up and was good enough to send frequent updates on his progress.

Actually, it might have been on Rum Ration, but he lost a lot of weight, albeit, slowly.

I seem to recall a while ago there was a chap 'on the large side' who wanted to join up and was good enough to send frequent updates on his progress.

Actually, it might have been on Rum Ration, but he lost a lot of weight, albeit, slowly.
I remember that thread. He was doing really well, was getting loads of encouragement but suddenly stopped posting. He shifted a hell of a lot of weight iirc.
Edit. I believe that his name was Steff.

Last edited:
When serving I knew two large chaps . One was well over 100 kg but was a runner? Did marathons .
The other was about the same but was Ex 14 int With a MBE as well. So passing camp 1 and moving on was nothing to him.

Thank you, all, for the messages of encouragement.
Started well this morning (apple and a banana for breakfast, followed by a 2 mile walk).
For lunch? Han salad then a roast chicken dinner this evening.
Thanks once again

Latest Threads