Whats to join the infantry (reserve) but fat

If you're at the bottom of the fitness curve, don't run, as @Spec-op1989 says. Start with walking excessively fast - you'll get as much gain as with a slow jog but without the impact. You'll also help with bone density.
Interesting about walking.
It is something I have always enjoyed so I now know it gave me an advantage when I joined up.
In my day it was the only way to get anywhere.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting about walking.
It is something I have always enjoyed so I now know it gave me an advantage when I joined up.
In my day it was the only way to get anywhere.
Hey, walking five miles is still covering five miles.

SWMBO and I do a week up in the Lakes every year. We walk every day. I always come back leaner, even though I do still train regularly, and we're hardly smashing it out; it is though constant exercise and therefore calories burned.

As you get lighter and fitter you may want to start running, if you can get access to a Woodway running machine (many gyms have them) that is a good low-impact place to start. They have a curved deck giving very little impact.

IMG-20200111-WA0007.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from the Internet links thread.

But, do cut down on fatty foods and eat fish/seafood, steamed not fried. Just a small change in diet and a bit of exercise and you will see the weight start to fall off.

Just be prepared to be going shopping for new trousers and underwear though.

Robme

LE
Hi all,

A brief introduction:
I am a 30 year old currently doing my Ph.D but, have always wanted to join the Army (infantry) so, going to take the plunge and do just that. Sorted out my application with the online thing.

Just one problem:
I am quite a fat bastard (BMI of 32) and wondering what can I do to lose the weight gradually?

Regards,
The Astronomer 19
Join the Household Calvary, they ain’t fussy who they take, and there’s plenty of role models rolling around in Guards Uniforms. They have their own BFT, it’s called the fat fooker, bowlocks to that for a game of soldiers, test.

Fishbulb

Old-Salt
At a guess I'd say that you're carrying the wobbly equivalent of 40 pounds or more of beltkit and bergan. So just walking around is actually more intensive than you'd think :strong:

I joined Slimming World, just out of support for the wife. I only went four months and really wasn't trying, I didn't buy into the cult aspect of it all but they call it peer support. She lost four+ stone, I lost two. Fridge full of weird shit and leaves, and you have to keep a diary but you don't have to go to the weekly quasi-religious weigh-in ceremony after joining, and there's a massive on-line presence with some fairly palatable food menus. Different foods score different points, but they call them sins / syns. If you've got time to fanny around, you can have a big fry-up so long as you prep it their way. If you're a singly student with just a microwave, Iceland sell complete ready meals under the SW label but they are dearer than non-SW meals. Local Indian restaurant is also a SW venue too. Overall, I'd say SW adds 10-15% to your food bill because the sellers know it.
We always had Black Tuesday suppers after she'd been to weigh-in: booze, large doner and chips, no salad ta. Restart the diary Wednesday. Interestingly, and purely in the interests of science, I didn't change my 28+ units of alcohol a week one bit. Two stone off means 28 lbs more booze in your rucksack for the same old effort level, ying and yang really. I was toying with opening a Lazy Bastard SW sub-group, probably meeting in a pub: you'd still lose weight.
This won't make you any fitter, and I really would keep off the knee-impact stuff until you weigh less.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Join the Household Calvary, they ain’t fussy who they take, and there’s plenty of role models rolling around in Guards Uniforms. They have their own BFT, it’s called the fat fooker, bowlocks to that for a game of soldiers, test.
alternatively, wait til you are 56 then you can go in as a fat b@stard like the rest of us. No one will notice the difference and you won’t stand out in the crowd in the queue for your full English in the morning. You can come out heavier than you went in. It’s mainly light duties but you may have to wobble round at night with a pick axe

I'm 56 and I'm not a fat Batsard, I joined at 16 after having done a lot of cycling, so I was a fit lad, but there's nothing prepares you for slogging with kit on, than slogging with kit on, get fit now, cycle, walk, swim, and as others have said pay attention to what goes down your cake hole, you don't want to end up like Private Pile in Full Metal Jacket, having your pals do press-ups while you eat a jelly Doughnut, you'll only end up shooting your Drill instructor, and that won't do your waistline any good at all.

First off, don't run.
Sounds odd but will your knees and ankles take the punishment at the moment.

Long walks and swimming, burns calories and builds up your cardiovascular, also what's your diet like?

Bin the takeaways and junk food. Eat healthily and get good sleep in, bin the booze as well. You will be surprised how much weight will drop off purely from chinning off the drink.

If you do too much too soon you'll only injure yourself.
Enrol in a gym or boxing club if you can.
Thank you,

A general 'day' of food for me:

Breakfast:
Bacon and Egg sandwich
Can of coke

Dinner:
Cornish pasty and a bar of chocolate

Tea:
Some sort of home-made roast dinner or curry

I have got a sweet tooth and this is why I've got FBS (fat-bastard syndrome)

I am determined to get this weight off, and join the infantry reserves (3 RW). So will take your advice on the long walks and swimming.

Who'd have thought that the woke culture that comes out of University; yet, the food on campus is shit!

Get yourself used to training outdoors in all weather. Not only will it help with your fitness but it'll improve your mental resilience to being wet and cold*.

*As an aside, good overall muscle strength helped me avoid feeling cold to the same extent as when I started. I don't mean becoming a Roidosaurus, just having the ability to shift your own weight plus a wee bit around with ease.

Thank you,

Breakfast:
Bacon and Egg sandwich
Can of coke

Dinner:

Tea:

I am determined to get this weight off, and join the infantry reserves (3 RW). So will take your advice on the long walks and swimming.

Who'd have thought that the woke culture that comes out of University; yet, the food on campus is shit!
Dump the can of coke and the bar of chocolate, and your calorific intake will be 600 kcal or so less every day. That would take about 6km of running to burn off every day.

Thank you,

Breakfast:
Bacon and Egg sandwich
Can of coke

Dinner:

Tea:

You in Pontypridd or Aberystwyth uni?

Thank you,

Breakfast:
Bacon and Egg sandwich
Can of coke

Dinner:

Tea:

Your diet is shite!
Porridge for breakfast(not that ready made rubbish either) with a banana.
Snack on fruit.

Dinner. Bin the pasty, chicken and rice or fish.

Make it at home, you'll spend less money.

1. Bin the coke and the chocolate.

2. Bin the idea of the infantry.

3. Come and join 255 TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) Battery RA in Bath (we recruit nationally). That way you can do the coolest job in the army with out any of this digging in/yomping with heavy loads nonsense.

Come on, you know you want to.

This has been a broadcast on behalf of the 255 Tactical Air Control Party

Last edited:

Latest Threads