Whats this?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BBear, May 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I was looking through my attic the other day, and found this bit of kit. I think i was given it when I was in cadets, so a while ago now!

The label has worn away, but it does still have the letters "amou(r)" visable, so I think it's some sort of body armour, but I have no idea what it is or who it was designed for. :? If anyone can shed some light that'd be awesome!

The vest fastens by the use of three big clips, one on each side and an extra one going around the bottom part of the vest. There is also a zip that runs the length of the front of the vest, I'd imagine this would be for getting the armour off quickly.

Cheers fellers.

2. Manpack, laptop, combat? Mk2 variant, if I'm not mistaken. The Mk3 variant would have had the additional pouch for the memory stick, while the Mk1 was olive green. :)
  3. it's a trial reactive armour vest, works on the same principles as Chobham, the pouch is filled with explosives to fend off would be suicide bombers. trouble was that after the trials nobody was around to fill in the questionnaire so it wasn't put into service :D :D :D

4. Unless I am very much mistaken [i often am], it is a mid 1990's, trial ballistic plate carrier.

There was a rash of them come on the surplus market about 2 years ago.
  5. Looks like the old style 50cal body armour plate carrier used in Northern Ireland on the border.???