Whats this?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Evilgoblin, Jan 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought I'd resurrect a thread I saw a while back...... So any spotters out there?

Attached Files:

2. It's an M29 Weasel LVT
  3. Saw this and thought I'd Share

Any clues out there?

Attached Files:

4. looks like a KKK tank? (klu klux klan)

5. early attempt at 'stealth' tanks?
  6. Prototype for the "dragon" tank from Dr.No? Efficient use of giant limpets?

Seriously, the vegetation at the back looks like savanna, possibly something South African?
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

German pre-WW11 - practice tanks to get round Versailles Treaty? 6 wheel config looks like an early armoured car series
  8. Looks a little like the Polish Kubus, but it's not. A clue?
  9. SdKfz 232 "6-Rad"'s by the looks. But the stealth package is way ahead of it's time!
  10. Aparently they're venezuelan

A small number of armored recce vehicles were fabricated at the Puert Cabello Naval Arsenal. These were rather similar to a turtle in appearance and thus were dubbed "Tortuga" ( Turtle) The "Tortuga" was designed by an engineer called Tomás Pacanins,. The chassis was a Ford 6x4 commercial vehicle, a rotating turret, and armed according to with a Vickers Mk, 4b 7 mm machine gun (the ones shown on the photo above show a Hotchkiss Mod. 1931 13.2 mm according to Dr. Georg von Rauch). It is believed that 12 units were built but only five were displayed. In the event the vehicles were poorly designed, offered poor visibility and no ventilation. The extreme overhang on their bodies rendered them clumsy at hard to maneuver.

Do I win a prize for most obscure vehicle posted?