Whats this?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ARMY_MAD, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. No obvious connection between the units represented, unless its a divisional group. Could be tracking someone's service career as they moved from unit to unit - perhaps a doctor or other attached person?

3. Hm, maybe, I dont even know where its from so I cant really comment on whos it is or anything. Am I right in saying that some of these are guards cap badges?

A_M

4. Welsh, Coldstream and Scots Guards across the top, RRF, LI and Pay Corps (?) across the middle and the bottom 3 chevron of Cheshires, King's and Devon & Dorsets.

If you could do a better lit pic, with a macro setting on your camera, it may be easier to tell. The Welsh Guards badge is not the cap/beret badge though (which is a plain leek); it looks like the Pagri badge worn on the old pith helmet.

5. The Pay Corps one looks more like the Life Guards to me!

6. I'd be suprised if the badge on the right is Pay Corps seeing all the others are infantry.

7. Agreed, which is why I put a question mark after it!

I've just looked at my John Gaylor book and it's not in there at all. It's not a collar dog either... However, it does look familiar...

Incidentally, the second and better photo does clear up something. They're not pukkah badges. They were a freebie-type "collectors set" that came out many years ago. They're a lot smaller than the real badge and thicker too, it's clear on one or two, such as the Guards' badges.

They were meant to be pressed into a card album, with a potted history of the Regiment/Corps.

8. Far right is the Life Guards "Cypher" badge, Top left is the Welsh guards "Belted" or "Signet" badge

9. The mystery badge is the life guards!

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The LI one is full of sprue so its obviously a restrike and a poor one at that!

11. Petriburg
    "They're not pukkah badges. They were a freebie-type "collectors set" that came out many years ago. They're a lot smaller than the real badge and thicker too, it's clear on one or two, such as the Guards' badges."

Texaco did a series of plastic badges of UK units back in 73.
    I was on REME recruiting team that year and we attended the Brit GP at Silverstone.
    Wearing best No2s we had free run and I remember going into the large Texaco marquee, we where 'Summoned' by the Main Man, a Texan I assume, who greeted us with 'These are our soldier, look after them'.
    My mate and I then spent a pleasant half hour, Booze in hand, chatting up a couple of very good looking, Models, Show girls or whatever.
    john
    We weren't the only ones on Duty.

12. John,

Those are the ones! I knew it was aeons ago - I joined up in 1973!