What's this weird looking thing ? Is it Special SAS stuff ?

Tiger-Monkey2

War Hero
Definitely the M16 bipod.. I had one when I was in a mortar platoon. I used to use it for keeping the weapon off the wet grass etc. It was not issued and I cannot remember how I came by it or what became of it later. I probably gave it away when I became transferred.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
As it happens it had a floating barrel and accuracy would be affected using the bipod but academic if you are just spraying rounds into the jungle.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Ah.
Now about that leaving too much sign thing....

Tac nights agreed, however if it's a semi-permanent camp then even just a platoon can compete locally with the "we prevent forest" motto of Agent Orange....
Yup, if you are going firm for any worth while amount of time and anything bigger than a section, the after effects can more resemble an LZ covered in local dwellings. I have seen and also helped produce some rather elaborate improvised accommodation complete with furnishings and other creature comforts.
Its when a C/S does a short halt for a meal or comms halt and the entire area looks more like its been hit by a Daisy Cutter, you start to question things.

Definitely the M16 bipod.. I had one when I was in a mortar platoon. I used to use it for keeping the weapon off the wet grass etc. It was not issued and I cannot remember how I came by it or what became of it later. I probably gave it away when I became transferred.
The bipod’s used to keep the mortar off the wet grass? Presumably only when used in the direct fire role?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Tiger-Monkey2

War Hero
The bipod’s used to keep the mortar off the wet grass? Presumably only when used in the direct fire role?
The bi-pod is bigger than it looks in the picture and than I remembered it. :excited: Just to be clear I used to attach it to my SLR. Of course why we even bothered with 81mm mortars when we had the thunder stick of the gods I never knew.

Latest Threads