What's this weird looking thing ? Is it Special SAS stuff ?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
They were issued between 1100-1500, when the lads returned from the Crusades for removing chastity belts. @Auld-Yin still has his pair, never handed them back into the G1098.
They are a starred item so he only has them on semi-permanent loan, the naughty boy should've handed them back on demob.

You Good Sir are a Geniarrse !
The Case of the weird looking bit of kit in a 1990s Survival book is solved.
Waltery most foul has been proven and that volume is now suspect.
Thank You.

View attachment 481905
Waltery? Keeping a rifle out of the mud?

Have seen gurkhas do the same with chopped down branches in Belize, Brunei, Hong Kong and UK - might have looked a silly, but it worked.

If you want waltery in that picture, look at the webbing, the add-on telescopic sight (most defo not a SUIT) and the abseil kit.

E2A: plastic mug, metal mug and mess tin, yet only S of KFS, no doubt to save weight FFS

Does look like a scrape together of kit for a photo

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They were issued between 1100-1500, when the lads returned from the Crusades for removing chastity belts. @Auld-Yin still has his pair, never handed them back into the G1098.
The Colour Bod got caught up in the Black Plague so i did not have to hand them in along with my armour, bow, spare strings and arrows. Set me up for a job with that nice chap Mr R Hood, in Nottingham.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Waltery? Keeping a rifle out of the mud?
Have seen gurkhas do the same with chopped down branches in Belize, Brunei, Hong Kong and UK - might have looked a silly, but it worked.
The Gurkhas are smart enough to know to use something readily available, they don't have to carry and they can leave behind without creating too much sign.

The Gurkhas are smart enough to know to use something readily available, they don't have to carry and they can leave behind without creating too much sign.
Ah.
Now about that leaving too much sign thing....

Tac nights agreed, however if it's a semi-permanent camp then even just a platoon can compete locally with the "we prevent forest" motto of Agent Orange....

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
Its a Vietnam era bi-pod for an M-16, spring loaded that grabs the barrel. A rather pointless piece of kit and just a way of over engineering the idea of not laying your rifle in muck. If this is considered important to carry in the jungle, you should stow it internally with the legs spread.
View attachment 481896 View attachment 481897 View attachment 481898
Going to ask what may be a stupid question but does the M16 have a floating barrel like the British SA80 and if so would this bi-pod then affect accuracy. I do realise that it might not be that important as they more likely sprayed out rounds as opposed to aiming.

Whatever I may have had going into t'jungle, by the time I came out it had narrowed down to:
an extra water bottle
a BFO knife
some proper waterproof containers for food and 1st Aid.

Boxy

GCM
We’ve reinvented it by having the Grip Pod on the handguard

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Seen this thing in a photo in Survival by Len Cacutt ISBN-10: 1854355392 and can't work out what it is. It's either a really safe machete scabbard or a set of snips/cutters. Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me what it is ?
View attachment 481874
View attachment 481875
And while I'm here what's the best Jungle survival guide out of these likely suspects ?
View attachment 481882
Avoiding the Jungle completely is the best bet
get a posting someplace nice

Dr Death

War Hero
It could be for the SAS Leatherman multi tool that all Troopers carry.
Its alleged that G Sqn built a 3 story house in the Belize Jungle in just 2 days with one.

Latest Threads