What's this weird looking thing ? Is it Special SAS stuff ?

Plum Crazy

Clanker
Seen this thing in a photo in Survival by Len Cacutt ISBN-10: 1854355392 and can't work out what it is. It's either a really safe machete scabbard or a set of snips/cutters. Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me what it is ?
odd bit of kit.jpg

survival-book-combat-load-kit-layoutREV.jpg
And while I'm here what's the best Jungle survival guide out of these likely suspects ?
jungle books.jpg

Plum Crazy

Clanker
I doubt it's wire cutters, they're too compact to need a 13 incher sheath. Maybe Bolt cutters ?

14bb9521-61dd-4055-a23f-ed6a4a1c83b2.jpg
image59.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It does look like a pair of high quality, lightweight, cutters wire (not made from pig iron) opened and stuck into a bayonet frog from some ones version of webbing. Bit like the ALiCE pouches at the top, I used to have them on my webbing (and a Colt mag which is somewhere in the garage) but you'd struggle to fit a mag from the rifle that won the cold war in them- or in the PLCE pouches either.
The single ration pouch is going to have to need some carefull packing to fit all that i as well.

Dr Death

War Hero
Seen this thing in a photo in Survival by Len Cacutt ISBN-10: 1854355392 and can't work out what it is. It's either a really safe machete scabbard or a set of snips/cutters. Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me what it is ?
View attachment 481874
View attachment 481875
And while I'm here what's the best Jungle survival guide out of these likely suspects ?
View attachment 481882
Its to keep keys in for the boathouse at credenhill, the colour is ***********

gafkiwi

War Hero
Its a Vietnam era bi-pod for an M-16, spring loaded that grabs the barrel. A rather pointless piece of kit and just a way of over engineering the idea of not laying your rifle in muck. If this is considered important to carry in the jungle, you should stow it internally with the legs spread.
1592032581675.png
1592032596394.png
1592033219720.png

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Its a Vietnam era bi-pod for an M-16. A rather pointless piece of kit and just a way of over engineering the idea of not laying your rifle in muck. If this is considered important to carry in the jungle, you should stow it internally with the legs spread.
View attachment 481896 View attachment 481897

You haven't quite got the hang of the internet, have you?

Coming on and posting helpful facts.

Just not the done thing.

He's also missing the K and F from his KFS. Presumably that's a prototype 'racing spoon'. Where's his combat life jacket and 'survive to fight'?

The author Len Cacutt was an editor for Marshall Cavendish, a subsidiary company of Times Publishing Group. His books are a mash up of all sorts of info gleaned from existing manuals. Presumably this gear was cobblered together for the book.

4(T)

LE
View attachment 481874
View attachment 481875
View attachment 481882

If not wire cutters, then secateurs (for cutting vegetation for camouflage and/or to clear fields of fire/ observation, etc)

Its part of the Boat Shed maintenance kit , issued to all caretakers.

Plum Crazy

Clanker
Its a Vietnam era bi-pod for an M-16, spring loaded that grabs the barrel. A rather pointless piece of kit and just a way of over engineering the idea of not laying your rifle in muck. If this is considered important to carry in the jungle, you should stow it internally with the legs spread.
View attachment 481896 View attachment 481897 View attachment 481898
You Good Sir are a Geniarrse !
The Case of the weird looking bit of kit in a 1990s Survival book is solved.
Waltery most foul has been proven and that volume is now suspect.
Thank You.

c21be9bc6eab5512f749801eba8f10c5bd0dba9d_hq.jpg

Latest Threads