Whats this wagon?

Any ideas what these two things are? Sat in a breakers yard in Bo-Ness.
Its late, and i have a mong memory, its High Bonnybridge not Bo-Ness

Attachments

Google Earth indicates that they've been there for more than 3 years. That must be a record wait for REME.

Serious question - why do they have big sticky out wheel hubs?

Any ideas what these two things are? Sat in a breakers yard in Bo-Ness.
Its late, and i have a mong memory, its High Bonnybridge not Bo-Ness

Yes, two lumps of scrap, hope this helps !

Serious question - why do they have big sticky out wheel hubs?
Sun Planet and moon gears, all crammed inside the hub
Don't know what they are for before you ask, try an Ex REME type.
Do know that if you drop the set, the fitter starts crying & that when you ask how much oil the engine takes the 8 you hear is pints not gallons
Apart from that absolutely fantastic to drive
I think i still hold the record for driving one of them backwards the wrong way around one of Portadown's roundabouts 28 times at 2 in the morning

All very good answers, but why do they stick out? What I'm trying to get to grips with is that this obviously(?) delicate bit is in a vulnerable position. Couldn't these planetary gears have been built in a wider, shallower enclosure that would have been completely enclosed within the wheel rim? Or the gears put inside the hull - or at least, inboard of the wheel?

C

cloudbuster

All very good answers, but why do they stick out? What I'm trying to get to grips with is that this obviously(?) delicate bit is in a vulnerable position. Couldn't these planetary gears have been built in a wider, shallower enclosure that would have been completely enclosed within the wheel rim? Or the gears put inside the hull - or at least, inboard of the wheel?
They're not really that vulnerable, as the wheel itself offers some protection. The Saracen was developed from the much-loved Stally, with the hull modified as an APC. Any part of the drivetrain inside the hull reduces the amount of room available for blokes etc. The other point about having the wheel station built in such a manner is the ease in which the whole station could be replaced in the event of damage from mines, etc. It clearly worked; otherwise, why would Alvis have done it this way?

They're not really that vulnerable, as the wheel itself offers some protection. The Saracen was developed from the much-loved Stally, with the hull modified as an APC. Any part of the drivetrain inside the hull reduces the amount of room available for blokes etc. The other point about having the wheel station built in such a manner is the ease in which the whole station could be replaced in the event of damage from mines, etc. It clearly worked; otherwise, why would Alvis have done it this way?
Not quite family line goes; saladin, saracen, stolly. If you can believe it stolly was more technically advanced. All good old fashioned British engineering with a few perplexing idiosyncrasies thrown in. They all look like something out of a Gerry Anderson series to me. Shame the lineage didn't continue. Where the factory was is now a Morrisons supermarket. Says it all.

So that when a wheel station got blown off [land mine etc] the Can [as they were affectionately known as] lost everything in that wheel station that could interfere with the drive to the other 5 wheels.
These things were the original captain scarlet when it came to warfare and there are recorded instances as them running on 4 wheel three on one side and one on the oppo side. The beauty of the can was that it was balanced. GB Engineering at its best Alvis i think
Driving one was the best thing of all, the driver sits about 4ft behind the engine in the middle of the Pax compartment with the steering wheel on a capstan with the capstan between the driver and the steering wheel. GSP semi-automatic gear box with forward and reverse shift meaning that it could drive as fast forwards as it could backwards, but with none of the hiccups of a tracked tank steering arraignment. As it was balanced the driver knew as he slammed the can into reverse from a 50mph [max speed] forward motion into reverse the things would take off backwards after stopping on a hat-pin to a reversed 50mph and the driver knew that the bloody thing would go exactly in a straight line [hence the balancing] from where it had come from and out and away from the ambush. I did this maneuver with a load of Paras and apart from Tiny Lane slamming into the gun ring and loosing his teeth the only casualties were the Adoo.
BTW yours is missing the smoke grenade dischargers, three on each side, just below the front quarter light
Also missing i suspect is the electrification system, which had the effect of 'lighting-up' the hull and would send a nasty hello to who ever decided to touch the outside of the Can. Urban myth, one of the REME guys rigged up the system on a NI tour and at one Republican funeral in XMG [in the days you could drive down there] the mourners took the coffin towards the can in a mark of what ever. The lead mourner upon contact withe the Can shot back 6 feet upon bingo, lost the coffin and the body slid down the road with the rest of the mourners stumbling after. Ah those were the days

In addition later Mods had the box cookers which could also boil water. So on those long patrols or over night stops in NI the driver always had a brew on and was forever the toms best mucker
Also petrol driven maybe the Rolls Royce 6 petrol engine but some variants had diesels
And could be driven anywhere

Thats K.M jr, posing with the two hulks, age 10 at the time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Intelligence Cell 11
E Jobs (Discussion) 7
Masterchef The Intelligence Cell 22