Whats this wagon?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Kit_Monkey, Oct 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any ideas what these two things are? Sat in a breakers yard in Bo-Ness.
    Its late, and i have a mong memory, its High Bonnybridge not Bo-Ness

Attached Files:

2. Saracen FV603.

3. I don't fancy yours much.

4. the kids of today :)

5. Google Earth indicates that they've been there for more than 3 years. That must be a record wait for REME.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

What is the name of God are you wearing on your feet?

7. Never mind the feet, what i s that Fuzzy Wuzzy crap on its head

8. Serious question - why do they have big sticky out wheel hubs?

9. HHH

HHH LE

Yes, two lumps of scrap, hope this helps !

10. To hang the wheels on. (Final drives).

11. Hub reduction diffs?

12. Sun Planet and moon gears, all crammed inside the hub
    Don't know what they are for before you ask, try an Ex REME type.
    Do know that if you drop the set, the fitter starts crying & that when you ask how much oil the engine takes the 8 you hear is pints not gallons
    Apart from that absolutely fantastic to drive
    I think i still hold the record for driving one of them backwards the wrong way around one of Portadown's roundabouts 28 times at 2 in the morning

13. All very good answers, but why do they stick out? What I'm trying to get to grips with is that this obviously(?) delicate bit is in a vulnerable position. Couldn't these planetary gears have been built in a wider, shallower enclosure that would have been completely enclosed within the wheel rim? Or the gears put inside the hull - or at least, inboard of the wheel?

14. To smack pedestrians kneecaps.

15. They're not really that vulnerable, as the wheel itself offers some protection. The Saracen was developed from the much-loved Stally, with the hull modified as an APC. Any part of the drivetrain inside the hull reduces the amount of room available for blokes etc. The other point about having the wheel station built in such a manner is the ease in which the whole station could be replaced in the event of damage from mines, etc. It clearly worked; otherwise, why would Alvis have done it this way?