WHats this! THEY WANT GREEN ON THE UNION FLAG

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Hairy-Sporran, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just catching up on the weeks news after my latest course and I open the papers and find bloody great green stripes or dragons on the Union Jack, whats more a fable about HMG giving serious consideration to the changes!!!!!!
    Have we gone stark PC billy bonkers or what?
    Are our welsh brethren so aggrieved by history?
    Sorry Taffy but you were in bed with England at the time hence only they, us and the bog hoppers got in on it.
    And I like the flag, thank you very much, its ours I'm proud of it, so keep your bloody hands off if you dont mind HMFG

2. They can feck orrrf

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Link please?

4. Why the fuck would us Welsh want our Dragon on the UJ?? We have our own flag.

To put you straight, the UJ is just as much a Welsh flag as it is an English flag....the Georges Cross is English. The UJ belongs to us all.

5. Union FLAG

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The issue of whether to use the term "Union Flag" or "Union Jack" is a matter of some debate. One view is that "Union Jack" should only be used for the flag when it is flown as a jack (a small flag flown at the bow of a ship), but it is not universally accepted that the "Jack" of "Union Jack" is a reference to such a jack flag and is only an educated guess. The Flag Institute, the vexillological organisation for the United Kingdom, stated that the term Union Flag is a "relatively recent idea". It also noted that "From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

7. Ah, thank you. :D

8. OK to put this one in Jockaneese,
    Jack, boaty thing, Navy boys, rum bum and mooth organ,
    Flag Army types carried into battle of old, now proudly displayed over all our camps garrisons et al,
    Ive got that so far so what do Crab Air call it??

9. Crabs fly an Ensign on their stations...

10. Ah thanks for that, Jack, Ensign, Flag all the same to me NATIONAL PRIDE

11. I don't think this is the argument, smudge.

The article I read had some welsh man saying that the shouldn't fly the union flag full stop as is didn't represent Wales apparently.

There was a similar argument a couple of years ago when some council actually had the Welsh flag flying above the Union flag.

I think that some welsh don't really understand the whole union flag thing, it is the flag of the UK as a whole, if they wish to fly the dragon that’s fine by me but they must also be prepared to fly the UK flag which they are part of.

It would be the same as the Cornish insisting the black cross be included, they fly their own black cross but there is always a Union flag with it.

12. Jockster starts digging......

How's about a sheep? That would also keep the bloody ozzies happy as well.

Jockster stops digging

13. Should we ban the flying of any flag in England except the UF and the St. George?

14. Oh I see. Fly either, I'm happy either way.