Whats this rifle? (mod edit, dont we already know!)

In the 'today in pictures' bit of the Torygraph?

4 Scots win Gold in Atacama Desert patrols competition

It's captioned " Members of an elite team from the Highlanders (4 Scots) take part in a patrol competition in the Atacama desert. The eight-man team won the gold medal ahead of their deployment to the Falkland Islands "

Looks like an AK stylee, but a bit posher.

Apologies I can't post the pic direct from work. :wink: :wink:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looks like a South African R4 or R5.

Prepared to be proven very wrong by some of the gun nuts on here though. :D

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Galil - quite popular in a few South American countries, some do it 7.62 x 51.

R4/R5 is the RSA licenced version very, very good weapon, carried one for about 10 years.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Schaden said:
Galil - quite popular in a few South American countries, some do it 7.62 x 51.

R4/R5 is the RSA licenced version very, very good weapon, carried one for about 10 years.
I heard a rumour that the early versions of the R5 had a beer bottle opener built into the bipod. Please tell me this is true! :D

This is the short version of the IMI Galil assault rifle.
An extremely reliable weapon, if somewhat heavy.
In 2 years of use, including in the desert I had barely one stoppage.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah was from the 1973 war - Israeli troops were using magazines to open beer bottles so one got built into the bipod.

50 rnd mags, Kalashnikov reliability and some very expensive engineering - think they went for about $1400 apiece - too expensive for the Israeli's who had to make do with USA M16's - I think only Armour got Galils.

I got my first in 1981 - was a IMI Galil before the first R4 production run, still had the wooden furniture - got new sights and had stocks tailored to the individual - later had R4's and R5's all in 5.56.

Correct about the built in bottle opener but it was only in the original Galil AR, which had an integral bipod. The bipod folded back under the forward grip and either of the two protrusions that held the folded bipod legs in place could be used to open crown cork bottle tops. The hinge of the bipod was designed to be used as a wire cutter. Both galils were equally reliable but the long version at 4.150 kg unloaded was on the heavy side. The steel mags were also heavy but reliable and held 35 rnds rather than the MI6's 29. Apparently the bottle opener design was included because soldiers had been known to use the lips of magazines, risking damage to them.

All regular Israeli infantry (many reserve infantry units remained with the M16) were equipped with Galils during the 1980's as well as armour and various other field units. The selection of the M16 to replace it was based on weight considerations, cost and (we were told at the time) in view of the statistics on barrel explosions.
In 23 years of IDF service I saw a 50 round Galil mag once and its squadddie owner told me they were unreliable (caused stoppages).

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cheers for the info about the bottle opener Schaden and Loofkar. I didn't realise it was originally fitted to the Galil I though it was just my South African mate winding me up.

Omegahunter, it's definitely not an FNC. I've used a Belgian one a couple of times, nice enough, especially the folding stock version.