What's this chair?

Going through a relative's stuff, have found what looks like an "army" surplus chair, but not sure it's necessarily British Army?

Any suggestions as to what it might be or might have been used for gratefully received!

Last edited:
it's F****d

RAF issue sun lounger? Is that 1933 or 83 date stamp? It's certainly an issue item., but not the usual camp chair.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Chairs, camp, officer posteriors only

Chairs, camp officer posteriors only

really, really minor edit, I could have added in RAF, but that was covered by 'camp'

I think it was picked up in the Far East, so either a local b@stardisation of a British model or a knock off of American kit.

The canvas tilt with 3 metal stretcher bars pops off and rolls around the collapsed frame, to pop shut and then carry

ugly

LE
I think it looks like a dental chair for field use

Going through a relative's stuff, have found what looks like an "army" surplus chair, but not sure it's necessarily British Army?

Any suggestions as to what it might be or might have been used for gratefully received!
The last photo shows a broad arrow property mark, so it's British, Commonwealth, or Empire. Commonwealth kit often had extra letters added (e.g. a 'C' in the case of Canada) to the broad arrow to indicate their property mark, but I don't know the dates to which this applies.

There is also what looks like a 1933 date on it. Below that is a number which might identify it. The DNS below the broad arrow might indicate what part of the military it belonged to. It could be "Director of Naval Stores" or any of a number of other things. It might also be a manufacturer code.

I don't know enough about kit markings to go beyond that. Your best bet is probably to get in touch with someone who is a kit collector or re-enactor. If there isn't one on this site who sees this thread, then normally your best bet would have been to attend a military re-enactment event of the correct period (early 20th century) and ask around. The pandemic may have cancelled most of those for this year however.

Lots of prevaricating this morning gave time for an extend search
2 hits, both on militaria sale sites

Suggests post war (aluminium extrusion at a more commercial capability than pre war?) possibly this might have been the precursor to the bog standard folding chair?

Bog standard? Do you mean chair, millionaire?
Called so as their normal designation seems to be "Chair, Landrover, Folding" and cognizant of the amount of money required to keep such a vehicle on the road?

Called so as their normal designation seems to be "Chair, Landrover, Folding" and cognizant of the amount of money required to keep such a vehicle on the road?
It's how you feel when you sink into one at the end of the day :)

Ask @stacker1.

He should be very familiar with something like that.

He’s probably used millions of them during his time in the mob. :)

Latest Threads