Whats this, any weapon spotters in ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Telecomsgeek, Apr 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spotted this on a memorial in an italian ski resort. any ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. My guess is an MP115??

Am i right.... Am I right?? Whats the prize?
  3. Not sure but were the A Team in the area?
  4. Not sure but were the A Team in the area?
  5. Homemade resistsance weapon, circa WWII?
  6. A 'Johnnie Seven' ??
  7. Its used to fire a small HE round to clear possible avalanche risks, hence it being at a Ski resort
  8. Looks v. much like a gun used to trigger avalanches before they go critical at unwanted times :cry: - and, in the fall-back mode, for hurling thermos canisters of gluhwein up onto the higher slopes for the thirsty and adventurous. :lol:

I'd guess it was made about 1890-ish
  9. I think not, since it seems to be situated at a war memorial. The Italian front was very active in WW1, and there are war memorials over the whole area.

Try searching this site:

10. looks like the smoke /morter discharger that was fitted onto into the roof of the Churchill Tank.
  11. Damm beat me too it, ill try and find a pic but looks similar
  12. Not seen one of these before!

We can ignore the strapwork as this is just to hold it to the rock.

Large F*off clamping handle to RHS and flange so it's unlikely to be a field/infantry weapon such a mortar or kreigspistolle. Reminds me of the 1.5" very pistol.. Cant throw much as the breech does not look that strong?

What's confusing me is the pipe fitting on the left hand side of the breech...
    WTF is that for? It looks like it is draining rain from the barrel - so it may be a later additon - but why not just drill a hole?

My guess it is either an AFV mounted discharger as Old_bloke says or it could be a fortress mounting for covering a door or a tunnel entrance?

On the other hand the pipe fittings look Naval to me...

F*ck knows...
  13. it is almost identical to the churchill smoke discharger see this pic, the mount is the same.
    Just confused with the pipe.

Attached Files:

14. Perhaps the vent fitting was fitted later to discharge the pressure from the weapon when fired reducing the range?