Whats this, any plane spotters in?

Do you have any details of when/where and which Sqn the photos are from?
Australian GAF built model...

1654440879390.png

1654441001492.png

See :

oooh, no. think it looks amazing. to my eye, it's kind of like the difference between an early mark Spit and an F.24 - still clearly the same lineage, but one definitely looks meaner. like looking at a '65 Mustang and a Mach One.
It’s just those canopies and the Griffin engine radiators just ruin the lines of a beautiful aircraft.
Do you have any details of when/where and which Sqn the photos are from?
No sorry, but I think Far East.

LARD

GCM
TBH I think The Aussie Lincoln looks rather good. I assume the extra length was to fit the 'baarbi' in?

Was he a Rupe….Officer like your good self or OR ?
He was an Air Gunner and I think they were promoted to Flt Sgt as aircrew, he served as such on his tour of Ops 43/44 and was then commissioned at sometime just post war.

He did however continue to serve as an AG as a Flt Lt, participating in the Malayan Emergency, hence the picture in Tengah in the 50’s. Then ended up in various admin roles when AGs were phased out with the advent of jet powered aircraft, ended up as a Sqn Ldr leaving in the mid 70’s.

He was an Air Gunner and I think they were promoted to Flt Sgt as aircrew, he served as such on his tour of Ops 43/44 and was then commissioned at sometime just post war.

He did however continue to serve as an AG as a Flt Lt, participating in the Malayan Emergency, hence the picture in Tengah in the 50’s. Then ended up in various admin roles when AGs were phased out with the advent of jet powered aircraft, ended up as a Sqn Ldr leaving in the mid 70’s.
WW2 after 1940/1 all RAF aircrew were Sgt and above. It was only in the Andrew that Aircrew Gunners remained Jnr Rating’s and like the US military all Pilots and Navigator’s had to be a Midshipman (Ensign) and above.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
WW2 after 1940/1 all RAF aircrew were Sgt and above. It was only in the Andrew that Aircrew Gunners remained Jnr Rating’s and like the US military all Pilots and Navigator’s had to be a Midshipman (Ensign) and above.
Yes.
Because as aircrew, and Sgts and above, if they were shot down and made prisoner they'd get a better (?) deal.

From Cockpit Commander:
Sergeant Soloman (the only Jew I ever came across in the RAF), took it upon himself to sort us out. “You are not Sergeants”, he said, “Do you see these?” (pointing to his chevrons), “It took me 18 years to get them, and you have been in 5 minutes, and yet you join me and my mates in our Mess. I’ll show you during the next 6 weeks (the length of our course) you are NOT true Sergeants, so watch out!!”
Being the Spokesman for our course I said, “Sergeant, it is because we are Aircrew and hence are liable to be shot down and taken prisoner, that is why the Air Council, in their wisdom, have decided that we should be made Sergeants, because SNCO’s, when taken prisoner, are treated with greater respect and are not given fatigues, and also it is to give us the rate of pay that is demanded by a Navigator’s job.”

USAAF and USN USMC had enlisted pilots, besides commissioned

USN had a FITRON of Petty officers/elisted VF-2

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
The Flight Officer Act of 1942 created the warrant officer rank of flight officer. All enlisted pilots were promoted to that rank and the rank of flight sergeant was discontinued. The flight officer rank was cancelled in 1945 due to there being adequate numbers of commissioned pilot

USAAF and USN USMC had enlisted pilots, besides commissioned

USN had a FITRON of Petty officers/elisted VF-2
I stand educated, never knew the US had enlisted pilots.

It's little known, but the Concorde fleet was in fact retired because they had been bought by the Yanks to replace the Blackbird in the supersonic reconnaissance role. They now work off mini-carriers too. Bloke down the pub told me, so it's gen !

gboad13.jpg
The White Elephants of 666 Squadron?

(For those readers of Charles Stross's Laundry Files )