Whats this, any plane spotters in?

I know it's been around for a while, but it doesn't look like a type that should have been retired - especially given the RAF's propensity to hang on to old kit. Sixteen years is a pretty short shelf life by Crab Air standards. I never saw one.
RAF has never been sentimental about chopping stuff, the boss might say some sad words at the beer call but they DGAF.

TamH70

MIA
RAF has never been sentimental about chopping stuff, the boss might say some sad words at the beer call but they DGAF.

Yep. For example, gas axing the Nimrod fleet they'd just spent oodles of millions of pounds on.

Yep. For example, gas axing the Nimrod fleet they'd just spent oodles of millions of pounds on.
I was at Wyton at the time - Harrier and Nimrod IPTs in shock for a couple of days.

TBF, that was a political move, not an RAF one. When I think of the types in service when I joined... Qty x loads. Vulcan just being binned, Shacks with several years to go etc. Saddam still our bezzer. Happy days.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Talking to the guys at the AVRO museum at Woodford, the upgrade to the MR4A was not going well as each Numrod was originally hand built therefore parts from A couldn't go on B. plus the logistic costs and infrastructure required for such a small fleet was astronomical. Far better to have gone for the P8 at the start.

TBF, that was a political move, not an RAF one. When I think of the types in service when I joined... Qty x loads. Vulcan just being binned, Shacks with several years to go etc. Saddam still our bezzer. Happy days.
But they got on with it, no real opposition nor whining. Job jobbed. Wrapped up quite quickly.

When I joined we were supposed to get an air experience flight in a Hastings, then they were going to drag in a Varsity....cancelled due to weather I think. Different world and it's all a bit Charlie Chaplin funny walk now...the distant past

Scrapping it - or the Mr4 upgrade ?

Because by the time cameron binned it - it was tantamount to suicide - the fact it kicked off in the face of common sense and lasted so long however i would agree was political

I was under the impression that the RAF wished to retain the MR2 until the 4 was available to replace it. The decision to scrap the project was political, due to it being ridiculously over-budget and a bad idea from Day 1 - every bloody airframe being different. The fact that Woodford did as good as they did is testimony to something or other. Let's fit turboprops and glass cockpits on Shacks!

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
I was under the impression that the RAF wished to retain the MR2 until the 4 was available to replace it. The decision to scrap the project was political, due to it being ridiculously over-budget and a bad idea from Day 1 - every bloody airframe being different. The fact that Woodford did as good as they did is testimony to something or other. Let's fit turboprops and glass cockpits on Shacks!
The investigation intot he MR2 crash in Afghanistan my have binned that idea when they discovered that the 'required' clearences hadn't been authorised plus a multiude of other things. I think some people saw their arrse's being hung out to dry, so the MR2 fleet had to go sharpish. Same thing over the Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash when B*tard Bill and Day tried to blame the crew and did so very succesfully for many years until a new inquest was held. Don't mention the pig in the mess incident to B*stard Bill, not a happy bunny.

Last edited: