Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats this, any plane spotters in?

Well, since we're doing plane wrecks

uknown.jpg

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
B-24 Liberator
I think it’s Lady Be Good, B-24D, 376th Heavy Bombardment Group, 12th Air Force out of Benghazi, lost 4 April 1943 returning from a raid on Naples. Navigational error by inexperienced crew (first combat mission) led to her overflying home base by many miles and crash landing in the Libyan desert. The radio location equipment allowed for identical signals to be sent and received with potential 180 degree error. Crew attempted to walk to safety, but all died.
Main wreckage recovered in the 90s to Libyan Air Force base near Tobruk (what was RAF El Adem.)
She was found by a BP exploration party in late 1958. I recall reading an article about her in Royal Air Force Flying Review in early 1959.

Last edited:
I think it’s Lady Be Good, B-24D, 376th Heavy Bombardment Group, 12th Air Force out of Benghazi, lost 4 April 1943 returning from a raid on Naples. Navigational error by inexperienced crew (first combat mission) led to her overflying home base by many miles and crash landing in the Libyan desert. The radio location equipment allowed for identical signals to be sent and received with potential 180 degree error. Crew attempted to walk to safety, but all died.
Main wreckage recovered in the 90s to Libyan Air Force base near Tobruk (what was RAF El Adem.)
She was found by a BP exploration party in late 1958. I recall reading an article about her in Royal Air Force Flying Review in early 1959.
Inspired the Twilight Zone episode "King nine will not return"

Did the incident become the basis of a story-line for a movie?

It's just that reading that I vaguely recall watching a movie, oh it must be 30 years or more ago, about the ghost crew of a US bomber lost in the desert, they are hanging around the wreck hoping someone will find their remains so they can get a proper burial, it's set years after the war. If I recall rightly one of the crew, who died on the plane is looking forward to his body being found while the others who bailed out over the desert (mistakenly thinking they were over the sea) are resigned to never being found.

There do seem to be remarkable parallels.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

It's just that reading that I vaguely recall watching a movie, oh it must be 30 years or more ago, about the ghost crew of a US bomber lost in the desert, they are hanging around the wreck hoping someone will find their remains so they can get a proper burial, it's set years after the war. If I recall rightly one of the crew, who died on the plane is looking forward to his body being found while the others who bailed out over the desert (mistakenly thinking they were over the sea) are resigned to never being found.

I recall reading an article years ago on some 'unexplained stories' website - probably bollocks but still.

a USAF airfield in Alaska receives a distress call from an aircraft identifying itself as 'King Bee 50'. it's in difficulties due to the weather. before it gets to the airfield, it goes off the air. when the weather improves, the airbase sends out search parties. lo and behold, from the bearing they got the distress call on some way from the base, they find a wreck, and from the navigators logs they find it is indeed King Bee 50. only one thing...the wreck is of a B-29 from the fifties. it's clearly been there for decades. **twilight zone theme**

I've been trying to find the webpage with no luck.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've been trying to find the webpage with no luck.
Shut down for being less believable than David Icke or Tony Blair ?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Shut down for being less believable than David Icke or Tony Blair ?

very probably. I'm a sucker for all that bollox though. ufo's, ghosts, anything paranormal. it's fascinated me since I was a kid.

. . . .

I can’t say that I recall such a film. As I wrote up thread, I first read about Lady Be Good shortly after she was found, but there were no bodies at that time. The story stayed on my radar, as more details came to light.
Gradually, over several years, eight of the nine crew were found at varying distances from the wreck. They had all ridden the plane in, not parachuted. It seems that the bombardier in the nose compartment had been injured in the crash and his body was found fairly close. The others travelled many miles on foot, dying off one by one.
It is possible that a body discovered in 1953 by a Brit desert patrol may have been crewman #9, but the patrol buried the remains and reported what they had done, but the exact location has never subsequently been rediscovered.

. . . .

I can’t say that I recall such a film. As I wrote up thread, I first read about Lady Be Good shortly after she was found, but there were no bodies at that time. The story stayed on my radar, as more details came to light.
Gradually, over several years, eight of the nine crew were found at varying distances from the wreck. They had all ridden the plane in, not parachuted. It seems that the bombardier in the nose compartment had been injured in the crash and his body was found fairly close. The others travelled many miles on foot, dying off one by one.
It is possible that a body discovered in 1953 by a Brit desert patrol may have been crewman #9, but the patrol buried the remains and reported what they had done, but the exact location has never subsequently been rediscovered.
Isn't this interwebs marvellous? I did a bit of googling and I find the answer and indeed it is loosely based on the Lady Be Good crash.

William Shatner in "Sole Survivor''

Latest Threads