Whats this, any plane spotters in?

I believe the photo is of an IAR 37, but would have accepted IAR 38 or 39 as the differences were primarily the engine and they are pretty hard to tell apart.

SecurityGeek

Old-Salt
How about this one.
Been reading up on the history of one of the places I was lucky to enough to visit with work last year. This little gem appeared.
piccy - Copy (3).jpg

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
How about this one.
Been reading up on the history of one of the places I was lucky to enough to visit with work last year. This little gem appeared.
View attachment 497499
one of the dornier Wals flown by Roald Amundsen's polar expeditions I believe.

SecurityGeek

Old-Salt
Spot on.
piccy - Copy.jpg

I visited Svalbard last year. Just working through the books I purchased while in the Museum shop

With reference to difficulty, as my school report regularly said, I must try harder :)

For any plane spotters looking for something to do, using Google Maps to have a look around the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group at the Davis Monthan Air Base can provide a nice way to kill some time.

I've been trying to figure out what these are/were.

1.PNG

Not sure if the wings and fuselages are from the same plane in this pic.

2.PNG

See if you can find the Martin B57 Canberra's (should be easy looking from above) or, for a challenge, find the D21 Drone they supposedly still have parked out there somewhere.

Last edited:
DM's old hat. Alas the glory days of 50s & 60s oddities are long gone. Former Sov-block and ME boneyards are far more interesting.

DM's old hat. Alas the glory days of 50s & 60s oddities are long gone. Former Sov-block and ME boneyards are far more interesting.
Got any Google map links? Last time I looked, the Chernobyl graveyard has disappeared.

I've also had a virtual prowl around ex-RAF bases to see some of the wrecks located on site.

For any plane spotters looking for something to do, using Google Maps to have a look around the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group at the Davis Monthan Air Base can provide a nice way to kill some time.

I've been trying to figure out what these are/were.

View attachment 498542

Not sure if the wings and fuselages are from the same plane in this pic.

View attachment 498543

See if you can find the Martin B57 Canberra's (should be easy looking from above) or, for a challenge, find the D21 Drone they supposedly still have parked out there somewhere.
Top are AV8B Harriers, bottom could be wingless F18s.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
new one
maguire43.jpg

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
smartarse cnut. at least make it look like you had to think about it a bit.

;)

good looking beast isn't it? very Thunderbirds. but only due to hit mach 1.4. looks like it should be capable of going faster.

smartarse cnut. at least make it look like you had to think about it a bit.

;)

good looking beast isn't it? very Thunderbirds. but only due to hit mach 1.4. looks like it should be capable of going faster.
It's a technology demonstrator, Mach 1.4 is more than enough to achieve what it's doing. But it certainly looks very 60s.

Latest Threads