Whats this, any plane spotters in?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Have something simple:

It mentions his ejection in the link, but I’ve no idea whether it impressed NASA:

It also mentions Armstrong finding the training invaluable and gave him the confirmation fence to override the automatic flight control:

His ejection is pretty impressive though:
And was at his desk working 30 minutes later when somebody burst in and told him the LRRV had crashed...

ericferret

War Hero
Spotted a Catalina winging it's way up the east coast yesterday.
Chatting to my mates wife at the time.
He turns up, oh she says you missed a Catalina fly over.
Yep said I, her plane spottings top notch.
For a moment he looked a little stunned.

It mentions his ejection in the link, but I’ve no idea whether it impressed NASA:

It also mentions Armstrong finding the training invaluable and gave him the confirmation fence to override the automatic flight control:

Armstrong says he found out he was on Apollo 11 during the Apollo 8 mission:
https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/ArmstrongNA/ArmstrongNA_9-19-01.pdf
BRINKLEY: What were your thoughts when you were finally—and where were you—I'm sorry sometimes I try to put things in locations personally. But what were your thoughts and where were you when you were chosen for the lunar landing mission for Apollo 11 when you first got the word?

ARMSTRONG: It was during the flight of Apollo 8.

AMBROSE: While it was up there?

ARMSTRONG: Yes, and during the flight of Apollo 8 I had three or four meetings with Deke Slayton about, first, would I take the third one down and then we had a lot of talks about who might be available and be right to be on that crew, that sort of thing.

AMBROSE: So you participated in a discussion of who.

His ejection is pretty impressive though:
He does it in a far nicer looking place in "First Man".

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
VC 10?

legobrick

Clanker
Indeed the VC10, currently parked down at the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre. Nice little collection there where you can get in most of the aircraft.

Here's another one from there:
Screenshot_20190709-190201_Gallery.jpg

Latest Threads