Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by staaken, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've tried the Aviation forum, no joy. Maybe the Brains the Size of a Planet forum can answer it. And no "It's a Gerber" replies, thank you very much -The Lord Flashy has pulled that one - within seconds of me posting.
    OK, in the shower in Chez Leaky Shack in Sudan, this thing taps me a "good morning" on the foot. When I had recovered, stopped screaming and shaking, I managed to take this photo. I write this from the local psychiatric ward of a UN level 3 hostipal.
    It flies, appears to have a sting, and, looking at the main armament, can probably strangle, too.
    Sooo, what the fark is it?

Attached Files:

2. Death manifested in somekind of evil insect thingamajigga?
  3. If there's a pile of them perhaps they might make a good stew.
  4. Some sort of tiger beetle, cicindelidae manticora.
  5. Is it a leatherman with some big bug beside it?
  6. my missus took one look at it and said "it's a whip scorpion, a scorpion without a tail" and then went back to cooking dinner.

no idea if she's right or not, but she used to keep similar things for a job.
  7. dont htink it is a whip scorpion, legs are too short, and looks like its only got 4 legs.
  8. Beer goggles eh?

Bet she looked a right pearler when you brought her home the night before.

Hope you didn't give her your real number.
  9. And now she has you, aaah! :p
  10. It's possibly a aquatic Hydrocorisae. Or Giant Water Beetle. Sometimes known as a "Toe-biter".
  11. Beat me to it BA, was just about to post something similar. Ah well, great minds and all that!!! :wink:
  12. Its a Toe Biter....quite a nasty little bugger!. More info here:nasty
  13. It is a water scorpion (Genus Nepa of the Family Nepidae ) - The big brother of this guy:

Water Scorpion

Not bad considering these things used to grow over 3 feet long (Pterygotus anglicus).

They can inflict a painful bite if handled incorrectly, but it is not as dangerous as a true scorpion sting. They can fly, but they rarely do. Were you near standing water or a damp area when you saw this? This would explain the bug being in your locality.

14. {Dons wah cloak}-

He was in the shower. Doesn't get much damper than that. :)

{Wah cloak back in the box}