Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the story with this one then ?

He is genuine, We first met on unit pre-Para then went through P Coy and No 1 PTS together. That was Aug-Dec 1970 - 50 years ago. Geordie worked hard on P Coy. He was pulled off the stretcher down Brecon; that was usually an automatic P Coy fail. But he passed; the PS spotted his determination and attitude.

A year later he was attached to 2 PARA for its tour in Belfast. Geordie was on the ground during Op DEMETRIUS (internment) and present at the Ballymurphy Incident. He transferred from RAMC to Para Regt and was quickly promoted to Cpl. He pulled a good grade and high position on Junior Brecon. A couple of years later he passed SAS Selection. Whilst in Dhofar he learnt that SF were to be given a role beyond his moral compass and PVR’d.
He thinks the British Tommy is the top and has great respect for SAS and Para Regt Toms. But not many officers impressed him.
Geordie spoke as he saw things and he was a man of principle. He had firm beliefs and a sensitivity for his ‘class’. Had he been around, Geordie would have been a Jarrow Marcher.
He is not a Walt. If I ever meet up with him again I’ll take beer and whiskey with him and I’ll respect (though not necessarily agree) his principles and honesty (despite his occasionally flawed memory).
Cheers, Geordie
Two of what you’ve been drinking!

He is genuine, We first met on unit pre-Para then went through P Coy and No 1 PTS together. That was Aug-Dec 1970 - 50 years ago. Geordie worked hard on P Coy. He was pulled off the stretcher down Brecon; that was usually an automatic P Coy fail. But he passed; the PS spotted his determination and attitude.

A year later he was attached to 2 PARA for its tour in Belfast. Geordie was on the ground during Op DEMETRIUS (internment) and present at the Ballymurphy Incident. He transferred from RAMC to Para Regt and was quickly promoted to Cpl. He pulled a good grade and high position on Junior Brecon. A couple of years later he passed SAS Selection. Whilst in Dhofar he learnt that SF were to be given a role beyond his moral compass and PVR’d.
He thinks the British Tommy is the top and has great respect for SAS and Para Regt Toms. But not many officers impressed him.
Geordie spoke as he saw things and he was a man of principle. He had firm beliefs and a sensitivity for his ‘class’. Had he been around, Geordie would have been a Jarrow Marcher.
He is not a Walt. If I ever meet up with him again I’ll take beer and whiskey with him and I’ll respect (though not necessarily agree) his principles and honesty (despite his occasionally flawed memory).
Cheers, Geordie

yeah.gif

Cheers, Geordie
Hello Nigel. You have signed up on Arrse then. You will feel at home here. Did you meet Robme in Dhofar and Ulster? He was one of Maurices boys you know. Perhaps you knew his mate @Once a Pilgrim. Frank and his university tutor. Frank served in the Rhodesian Army, the Gloucesters and numerous campaigns with the SAS.

Or perhaps you would have met Bugsy, late of the RAMC and the Stassi. He was also the victim of British oppression in Ireland. They killed all his familly including Bugsy who they killed twice, to be sure to be sure.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Hello Nigel. You have signed up on Arrse then. You will feel at home here. Did you meet Robme in Dhofar and Ulster? He was one of Maurices boys you know. Perhaps you knew his mate @Once a Pilgrim. Frank and his university tutor. Frank served in the Rhodesian Army, the Gloucesters and numerous campaigns with the SAS.

Or perhaps you would have met Bugsy, late of the RAMC and the Stassi. He was also the victim of British oppression in Ireland. They killed all his familly including Bugsy who they killed twice, to be sure to be sure.
I bet you were never ‘pulled off the stretcher down Brecon’ were you?

Sexton Blake

War Hero

Cheers, Geordie
Warwalker,

Genuine question,

Now that the Dhofar campaign is well and truly over can you outline what particular role SF were being given that forced him to PVR please?

Dr Death

War Hero

Cheers, Geordie
Do you remember 2toes Tony & 3 Fingers Fred?
Both were Para Medics attached to SF/SIS and on a Black Bag Op?
In his book 3 Fingers Fred remembers HALO jumping into XMG and taking out 4 locals.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Using cream or just the egg yolk with the lardon juices?
Both, plus oyster mushrooms gently sauteed with loads or chopped garlic and the lardons are smoked bacon.

I bet you were never ‘pulled off the stretcher down Brecon’ were you?
I once pulled myself off on a stretcher, but it wasn't at Brecon... thankfully.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I once pulled myself off on a stretcher, but it wasn't at Brecon... thankfully.
Ah so that was you was it? Took me ages to get the stain out.

When I joined in the 80's, recruit training for a medic was six weeks. For the infantry it was twenty and twenty four for Para Reg. Could a medic actually transfer into infantry with so little training?

Yes. But he'd have to start from scratch.

When I joined in the 80's, recruit training for a medic was six weeks. For the infantry it was twenty and twenty four for Para Reg. Could a medic actually transfer into infantry with so little training?
When I was at Brent in the Met we had a lad who was ex 2 Para. He had originaly joined the RAMC as a junior soldier at 16, when he reached adult service he passed All Arms P Company and joined the Parachute Clearing Troop RAMC as it was then. He went to the Falklands in 1982 and was with Rick's 'Red and Green Life Machine'. After the war he was so impressed with the Paras that he transfered over to them. You will never guess where he ended up? Yes you got it right first time - 2 Para's medical centre badged Para Reg.

When I did All Arms P Company in 1983 at Browning Barracks there was a lad in my room who was an RCT Lance Jack was was transfering over to the Parachute Regiment. Apparently all he had to do was pass P Company, which he failed so it was back on the road for him.

Tiny amount doesn't hurt and gives a nice vehicle for the chili and garlic pesto you use as a condiment.

Latest Threads