Whats the point of the UN....useless again!

The UN has given a steady revenue stream to the makers of blue hats, helmet & body armour covers whilst providing a platform for professional whingers to inflict their agendas onto everyone else.

U.N. Says Cyber Violence Is Equivalent to Physical Violence Against Women

"The report also argues that "cyber touch is recognized as equally as harmful as physical touch," suggesting that online harassment might be just as lethal as domestic violence or sexual abuse." (But only against women apparently)

The "white paint for vehicles market" hasn't done too bad either.

She came under thespians.
What would you like the UN to do? How do you propose to change the UN? And will you complain when the newly refurbished and effective UN does something that inconveniences the UK?
No organisation is perfect, no such animal exists, the UK or any member of any world conglomerate will at some time be upset by its decisions. As for a refurbishment of the UN, moving the chairs around solves nothing, the initial problems still remain, and until the dead wood, and veto powers are removed, third world countries, tribal differences, and despotic military tyrants will flourish with impunity, nothing changes, only the uniforms.

Sounds a lot like the people in charge are there for a jolly and free money and will not accept people rocking the boat and causing them problems over trivial matters such as genocide.

She came under thespians.
Please do not equate ginger spice with seasoned award winning thespians, Sir Alec Guinness, Sir Michael Redgrave, Kenneth Brannagh, Pete Postlethwhaite, etc, masters of their art, then we have ginger spice, hardly a comparison. She was a popular singer, not an actor.

No organisation is perfect, no such animal exists, the UK or any member of any world conglomerate will at some time be upset by its decisions. As for a refurbishment of the UN, moving the chairs around solves nothing, the initial problems still remain, and until the dead wood, and veto powers are removed, third world countries, tribal differences, and despotic military tyrants will flourish with impunity, nothing changes, only the uniforms.
Unfortunately, realpolitik means removing the veto would see the US, Russia & China taking their respective balls home, thus removing one of the restraints on their actions.
The UN is indeed ineffectual but that's somewhat better than the alternative.

What exactly is this expense achieving?
Exactly what the UNSC permanent members want it to - lets them play out their rivalries in a (usually) non-destructive forum while occasionally providing figleaves for naked self-interest.

If it wasn't there, they'd probably just think up something similar.

In fairness some parts of the UN, such as the World Health Organisation and World Food Programme do an excellent job.

However, the ability of the UN to respond to international aggression is marked by dithering and half hearted efforts - see Bosnia in the 90s as and example.

I think it's a reasonable assumption. They set the UN up with entrenched veto, after all. I doubt they're chafing to be rid of them.

Can you imagine a circumstance where any of them bow to a majority vote of weaker powers when those are so likely to be counter to their national interests?

Please do not equate ginger spice with seasoned award winning thespians, Sir Alec Guinness, Sir Michael Redgrave, Kenneth Brannagh, Pete Postlethwhaite, etc, masters of their art, then we have ginger spice, hardly a comparison. She was a popular singer, not an actor.
I stand corrected. I shall be much more careful with my terminology in future. To impune the personalities that you mention by putting her in their class is very wrong.

I think it's a reasonable assumption. They set the UN up with entrenched veto, after all. I doubt they're chafing to be rid of them.

Can you imagine a circumstance where any of them bow to a majority vote of weaker powers when those are so likely to be counter to their national interests?
Surely national interests are not at issue here, its the ability of its members to find, and implement a solution to a problem of one of its members, weather it be religious, secular, or military, personal interests of member states that are not directly involved in the problem are of no immediate importance, it is the job of the many to help the few that need it, nothing more.

The only part of the UN that I have any sympathy or regard for are the peace keepers. The idea of being a witness to the wholesale slaughter of people while being told you cannot intervene has always sickened me.

The only part of the UN that I have any sympathy or regard for are the peace keepers. The idea of being a witness to the wholesale slaughter of people while being told you cannot intervene has always sickened me.
Isn't that the whole argument of the instigator of this Thread, ineffectual intervention, swamped by hard and fast rules, that help nobody, traumatised soldiers, that have to stand by, and do nothing, meanwhile back in the debating chamber.......

It allows out of touch burocrats, and overpaid narcisstic useless pen pushers, a forum to spout platitudes, and shed crocodile tears, while the worlds politicians, clergy, and bankers instigate wars, famines, and civil unrest, so that the political military complex can fund and supply arms dealers with the wherewithal to prolong the agony of the worlds faceless masses, while drawing massive salaries and perks, paid for by the hard taxed populace of the warring countries. End of rant!!
Seems like a short, but accurate assessment of the UN rather than a rant.
Have a like.

Having had a few missions working for the UN as an investigator digging up bodies etc, chasing down the offenders and working with armed forces, my experience is that the UN is great after the 'event'.
However they are useless at preventing or minimising the 'event' in the first place.

Jaw jaw at the UN prevents war war apparently. I dont think so!
Anyway carry on chaps, you are all doing a grand job of picking up the pieces of UN decision making.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blogg The Intelligence Cell 8
1stgulfmac The NAAFI Bar 24
S The Other Half 20