Whats the oldest bit of kit still in use in the Army?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Themanwho, Sep 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We've all heard the whinges: " This widget's been around since Pontius was a pilot", "Grandad told me about this" etc. What is the oldest bit of kit still on issue? My own bet is the Browning 9mm, basically the same shooter that did WW2. How about Binos No 2 Mark 3, as seen in all good war movies with Richard Todd in, followed closely by the Compass Prismatic? (Ice Cold In Alex) Slightly more up to date, I remember a Series 2 Landrover Amby going to Bosnia in 96 (No, not as a gate guardian for Split!), and I went to TELIC 1 with something that was a cross between Monty's caravan and a sand anchor, a 2 Ton Binner. Can anyone top that? Before anyone pipes up from behind the fug of pipe and cigar smoke in the RA Officers Mess, no, elderly watchkeepers don't count.
  2. Old gits don't count.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

How about the Pointer, Staff, as used in Target Indication lessons?

Or the Prismatic Compass? They are still the same design as pre-war, and there are probably a few pre-war ones still in service.

9mm HP came in during the war as well, wonder what the oldest of those still around is?
  4. 50 cal brownings are pretty old aren't they?

What about guardsmans bearskins? or does only stuff used in warfare count?
  5. The anvils used in the Blacksmith's Shop at the Royal School of Military Engineering are absolutely ancient, some of them dating back to the early part of last century. Not exactly kit that the vast majority of the army would ever come across, but strangely heart-warming to see them still in use nonetheless.
  6. I'm sure we've had this question before. The 1906 pattern mess tin is the oldest bit of kit. Although it was tin coated steel in those days and gave you metal poisoning. Wisely changed to aluminium in 1945. I still have one of these in my collection and it is a little thicker and more durable than the current issue version.
  7. Maybe these have all gone, but does the army still use....

Soyer stoves? or Dixies?

The Soyer Stove is Crimea War and the dixie is Victorian.
  8. ....."in my collection"........... I'm feeling a little afraid here, people.........
  9. The D10 cable winding machine .
  10. Part Time Pongo's Long Johns.
  11. How about the Kukri? Johnny Treefrog's been using them since forever.
  12. What about the field dressing? I've got one dated 1941 which was issued in the 90s.
  13. Around 1921 for the 50 cal MG! They don't make 'em like they used to!!!

14. Deleted.