Whats the fuss about!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by B_AND_T, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

2. And for those of us who don't have DII?

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Plymouth honoured by Pakistan visit
    10/06/2008

Royal Navy recruits in Plymouth were among those on parade when Britain’s highest ranking Royal Navy Officer and his Pakistani counterpart visited HMS Raleigh in Cornwall yesterday, 9 June 2008.

Admiral Muhammed Azfal Tahir, Chief of Naval Staff Pakistan, visits HMS Raleigh in Cornwall [Picture: Dave Sherfield]
    The First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Jonathon Band and Admiral Muhammed Azfal Tahir, Chief of Naval Staff Pakistan, spent the day at the Royal Navy training establishment in Torpoint. The visit was part of a wider programme to enhance co-operation between the two countries, following Admiral Band's visit to Pakistan last year.

Before taking the salute at the Passing-Out-Parade, the two Admirals were given the opportunity to see some of the high quality training provided at HMS Raleigh. They met some week three recruits undergoing resource and initiative training at Pier Cellars, a former Elizabethan pilchard harbour used by the Royal Navy near the village of Cawsand. They also saw one of the Royal Navy’s latest rigid inflatable boats and then had a chance to see how the former Royal Navy patrol ship, HMS Brecon, is being used as a training resource.

Commanding Officer of HMS Raleigh, Captain Jonathan Woodcock said:

"As our recruits progress through their naval careers they will be involved in operations alongside sailors from a variety of other nations. Having Admiral Tahir take the salute at the Passing-Out-Parade was a great example to them of the Royal Navy’s cooperation with a range of different countries, which is vital to success. We were also grateful for the opportunity to update Admiral Band on the new initiatives in training and to share our training methods with Admiral Tahir."

Admiral Tahir was given the honour of taking the salute at the Passing-Out-Parade, when the latest trainees to complete their nine week initial training course, marched out in front of their proud families and friends.

Admiral Tahir presents the Owen Cup to AET Ross Taylor [Picture: Dave Sherfield]
    Air Engineering Technician (AET) Taylor, who was presented with the Owen Cup as the top recruit for the entry, said:
    "I thought training was excellent in that it taught me the qualities of discipline, time management, teamwork and leadership. During my time at Raleigh my general fitness has improved and I’ve met many new people, who have now become good friends. My ambition is to strive towards promotion and eventually become a physical training instructor."

For Rebecca East joining the Royal Navy is a family tradition. Her father, Colin, is a Petty Officer serving onboard HMS Bulwark, while her sister, Rachel, is an Engineering Technician aboard HMS Cornwall. She said:

"I have thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of my training. I will take away some very special memories and hope that it has put me in a good position for the next stage of my training at HMS Collingwood."

Admiral Tahir’s visit to the UK also included time with Flag Officer Sea Training in Plymouth and at the Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, near Helston, where he underwent flight training.