• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Whats the difference prime minister?

#1
At a time when hands across the United Kingdom are united in the rejection of terrorism, our Prime Minister has chosen to turn a blind eye to the evil conduct of the men he has forced into Government in Northern Ireland. By portraying the IRA as 'acceptable terrorists' as opposed to Al-Qaeda in order to pave the way to another hollow IRA statement of intent, Tony Blair has desecrated the memories of victims of terrorism in our here in Northern Ireland.

We are also mindful of the many families in London, the Home Counties and beyond, indeed families the length and breadth of the United Kingdom who are victims of Sinn Fein/IRA. The families of young soldiers cut down in their prime as they served to defeat terrorism here. Or the many victims of PIRA Atrocities such as the Harrods Bomb, the M62 bus bombing, the Guildford, Woolwich and Birmingham pub bombs, or the Hyde/Regents Park bombings to name but a few. How do these people feel when they hear their Prime Minister belittle the PIRA's terrorism?

The simple unavoidable truth is that there is no difference between terrorists regardless of their political goals.

How a British Prime Minister can so devalue the suffering of our families is beyond belief? Are our lives of less value or do our feelings or injuries hurt less? This classification of victims by postal code policy is a disgrace, it is a cruel and hypocritical position

As the sad images below show the results of a Muslim extremist bus bombing has exactly the same devastating consequences as a similar bombing by an Irish Republican terrorist.
 
#2
MC , link removed.

Previously , I have stated that links to images of violent death (Ogrish etc) are unsuitable here.

The points raised in the opening paragraph I believe are relevant. In fact I believe I have posted commentary to exactly the same conclusion on Current Affairs previously.

However, links to imagery of this sort are not allowed here.

Regards

PTP
 
#4
The Buses are a good comparison , but no hyper links to those on that page please. There are images available on BBC news that will illustrate the point (and where those images originated)

You may also want to post comparison images of Omagh etc.

Thanks MC

PTP
 
#5
manchestercop said:
At a time when hands across the United Kingdom are united in the rejection of terrorism, our Prime Minister has chosen to turn a blind eye to the evil conduct of the men he has forced into Government in Northern Ireland. By portraying the IRA as 'acceptable terrorists' as opposed to Al-Qaeda in order to pave the way to another hollow IRA statement of intent, Tony Blair has desecrated the memories of victims of terrorism in our here in Northern Ireland.

We are also mindful of the many families in London, the Home Counties and beyond, indeed families the length and breadth of the United Kingdom who are victims of Sinn Fein/IRA. The families of young soldiers cut down in their prime as they served to defeat terrorism here. Or the many victims of PIRA Atrocities such as the Harrods Bomb, the M62 bus bombing, the Guildford, Woolwich and Birmingham pub bombs, or the Hyde/Regents Park bombings to name but a few. How do these people feel when they hear their Prime Minister belittle the PIRA's terrorism?

The simple unavoidable truth is that there is no difference between terrorists regardless of their political goals.

How a British Prime Minister can so devalue the suffering of our families is beyond belief? Are our lives of less value or do our feelings or injuries hurt less? This classification of victims by postal code policy is a disgrace, it is a cruel and hypocritical position

As the sad images below show the results of a Muslim extremist bus bombing has exactly the same devastating consequences as a similar bombing by an Irish Republican terrorist.
The aim of the IRA was/is/and always has been to rid the country of the oppresive Brits and to unite Ireland. I fully agree wholeheartedly with those aims, but I do despair of some of the methods used.
To equate the IRA with the tinpot policies of al Qaeda is to do an injustice to the IRA and to their aims. Shame on you, manchestercop!

MsG
 
#6
The aim of the IRA was/is/and always has been to rid the country of the oppresive Brits and to unite Ireland. I fully agree wholeheartedly with those aims, but I do despair of some of the methods used.
To equate the IRA with the tinpot policies of al Qaeda is to do an injustice to the IRA and to their aims. Shame on you, manchestercop!

MsG
You are as bad as Bliar, Bugsy. Have you any idea what you are talking about??
 
#7
Shame on you all attacking the IRA, bunch of good guys who just happened to murder a the odd few innocent in their attempt to obtain power.
john
Heavily constrained as one Mod gets upset at his friends being criticised.
 
#8
The Lord Flasheart said:
The aim of the IRA was/is/and always has been to rid the country of the oppresive Brits and to unite Ireland. I fully agree wholeheartedly with those aims, but I do despair of some of the methods used.
To equate the IRA with the tinpot policies of al Qaeda is to do an injustice to the IRA and to their aims. Shame on you, manchestercop!

MsG
You are as bad as Bliar, Bugsy. Have you any idea what you are talking about??
Sorry, Flash, but it's YOU who appears to have no idea of what I'm talking about!

MsG
 
#9
You are correct there. Were you being ironic?

So, in your mind organisations killing civilians or killing illegally has different levels?
 
#10
The Lord Flasheart said:
You are correct there. Were you being ironic?

So, in your mind organisations killing civilians or killing illegally has different levels?
Flash, as an Irishman I want the Brits out of our country - it's as simple as that. I truly deplore the loss of every life lost in attaining that objective, but there are always victims in any struggle.
It seems it's OK for the Brits to cheer the deaths (obviously "legal" in your view) of Germans looking to take over their country, but when Brits are on the receiving end, any deaths they sustain are deemed to be "illegal" and all murders undertaken by Brits are "legal". Have I understood that right?

MsG
 
#11
Moderators note.

Whilst lively debate is encouraged, I do not want this descending into a the usual round of pointless name calling , whenever this subject comes up.

I also do not want to see any future arguments which may arise seeking to justify murder as the road to a "United Ireland"
 
#12
As a Brit im happy my country stays British, long may it.

I do hope you have an Irish passport and are actually from Northern Ireland....
 
#13
Its a shame the link to the gory images had to go. The site they are on has a political message and while the images are gory - its not gory for sake of gory such as sites like ogrish etc. It communicates the horrendous consequences of bombings which I think people, I for sure, often forget. However I can also see the requirement for ARRSE not to be associated with ogrish-esque sites.


I disagree with the politcal statement of the site which ManchesterCop has pasted here in the first post. Unfortunately, I think Tony is pretty much doing the right thing in NI. IRA/Sinn Fein are 'acceptable terrorists' - although I'd prefer the term 'less repulsive terrorists' in comparison to Al-Queda. They killed a lot of innocent civilians but the fact is in the vast majority of attacks they were not AIMING to kill civilians, they were primarily economic/military targets. Al-Queda tries to kill as many people as possible - both by aiming at soft targets and by not ever giving warnings. This lack of 'intent' to kill civilians makes the IRA less repulsive than Al-Queda (not that attacking military targets was somehow ok either).

But the key reason why I think Tony's approach is unfortunately the right one is because of realpolitik. If dealing with the terrorists means an end to violence then that's what has to be done. The security forces have already made huge sacrifices over the last 35 years and this is yet another bitter pill for them to swallow. I would have preferred to have seen the terrorists defeated by arrest operations etc. but it just wasn't possible.

Tricam.

Disclaimer: IN NO WAY DO I SUPPORT THE IRA. This topic came up on ARRSE before and I took quite a bashing for my views - which doesn't bother me but I wouldn't like to have a whiff of 'green' about me. I come from a 'green' background but I don't give a shite about a united Ireland - so long as there is no violence or discrimination I'm happy.
 
#14
Sorry but it seems to me the aims of the IRA was/is and always has been about making themselves rich and or powerful.

A large percentage of their victims where Irish too

I'm sure Al Queda feels their ambitions at least as noble as the IRA see theirs. It all seems to be murder in the name of God to me

I guess you can make whatever comparisons you like but murdering innocent people is just plain wrong whichever cause you file it under
 
#17
WTF are you on about tricam. So for political expediencey it is fine and dandy to tone down the evil savagery of the IRA as something acceptable compared to those nastey Alqueda johnnies. Which particular IRA atrocities are more acceptable to you than the current orange suit beheadings? Manchestercop is right on the mark here.

I declare a bias as many on this site are biased. If you have seen and smelt first hand the results of these 'less repulsive terrorists' you would also be biased.
You are an apoligist for the IRA and are not welcome here. Your pathetic statement that:

They killed a lot of innocent civilians but the fact is in the vast majority of attacks they were not AIMING to kill civilians, they were primarily economic/military targets.
is warped. Tell that to the families of those killed or injured in Birmingham, Inneskillen, Omagh, Harrods, etc, etc, etc,.....

Do you condone the ongoing punishment/disciplinary actions of the IRA in NI today? Your post is not debate it is disgusting and you're no better than that deranged moron Bugsy.
 
#18
Birdie_Numnums said:
Do you condone the ongoing punishment/disciplinary actions of the IRA in NI today? Your post is not debate it is disgusting and you're no better than that deranged moron Bugsy.
Do grow up, Birdie_Numbnuts. Nobody said they condone that sort of thing. And it you think my desire for a UNITED IRELAND is "deranged", then I can only say that the British gobment did a fine job of brainwashing whatever few cells were ever in your head. but you wouldn't have noticed that, of course. Rindsnille!

MsG
 
#19
Keep the insults out of it please.

By all means make your points, but please do it in a civil fashion.

PTP
 
#20
Heavily constrained as one Mod gets upset at his friends being criticised.
I suggest you read your PM's Jonwilly.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment 3
I Blue Jokes 6
M Sick Jokes 1

Similar threads

Top