Whats the difference in infantry regiments?

So, I applied for the Army in July 2019. Its been a bit of a long process. I applied for the parachute regiment, took PRAC in February but unfortunately failed. I've been given the opportunity to retake in August.

I'm much more prepared this time round, I know what to expect and my fitness has come on leaps and bounds since. But, being realistic with things, I know that this still doesn't guarantee me a pass. My heads in the game and I'm determined to make it through, but I still want a career in the army no matter the outcome. But I don't know what regiment to put as my second choice. What are the differences between the infantry regiments? I live in Essex so my main choices are Royal Anglians and Rifles, although I've also looked at PWRR. I know there's a difference in light role infantry and armoured infantry etc, but is there any specific difference between regiments besides cap badge, location and tour dates?

I know there's a difference in light role infantry and armoured infantry etc, but is there any specific difference between regiments besides cap badge, location and tour dates?
Culture and history (each proud of its own traditions, however bizarre/illogical they may seem to 'outsiders'), corporate power (the Rifles 'brand' is very strong - just look at the number of senior officers) and the fact that size matters (again with the Rifles, because they're so much larger, there are often more opportunities for varied employment available, and movement between battalions in different roles/locations).

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
The best infantry regiment is the one you are in. The rest are also rans. (If a para you can call them hats.)

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
You could join........

Any Guards regiment
The believe they run the infantry world and are the best. Slow paced marching and lots of shiny stuff blinds them

The Rifles
They probably do run the infantry world. This is due to very energetic marching and no shiny stuff

The Parachute Regiment
They will fight the infantry world. Good for throwing at hard objects, not much marching, still reliving Arnhem.

The Royal Anglians
Good solid infantry. Not impressed with any the above.
ETA. Other line infantry are available.

Last edited:
............. I still want a career in the army no matter the outcome.
Then why on earth are you aiming to join the infantry? I've nothing against them, they do a marvellous job and someone has to do it, but FFS where are your aspirations?

The_Duke

LE
And here we go again.

1. There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion about your unit vs any other.

2. Recruiting board rules apply. Some posts removed. Keep it on track. Answers must be accurate, up to date, and help to answer the OPs question. Nothing else belongs in this thread.

Then why on earth are you aiming to join the infantry? I've nothing against them, they do a marvellous job and someone has to do it, but FFS where are your aspirations?
I was TA Inf (Royal Anglian) before Regs (REME VM) - I wanted to go Infantry but was talked round to REME, I guess they had quotas to fill... still wish I had gone infantry.

Then again, after leaving I had no issues doing other stuff that didn't rely at all on my Army experience so it wouldn't have had any bearing.

Some people want to do the soldier thing properly.

There are differences in an Infantry Regt‘s roles, but this can change. If you join a Regt for a particular role, it could very well change before you know it.

Don’t let this worry you though, you will have plenty of opportunities throughout your career, you’ve just got to grab them.

Latest Threads