Whats the definition of an MTD?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Balbas, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Prolly a really bone question and I have had a search but found nothing.

We've been told since the rumblings started about cuts that we would no longer be paid 2 1/2 days for a weekend. My understanding was always that as we worked more than 4 hours on the Friday (in the TAC by 1900) and then more than 8 hours on the Saturday and Sunday, that we're entitled to 2 1/2 days pay.

Seems the PSAO/RAO have other ideas and are restricting pay claims to 2 days per weekend. Which seems a bit jack.

Mind I suppose we should be grateful for any pay at the moment...

Edit: FWIW I've searched high and low on the internet for a copy of JSP 754 which should clear the issue up, but can't find anything.
  2. There is a definition of what exactly constitutes a 1/4 1/2 and full day, its written on the signing in sheet. Max and minimum hours do apply.
  3. So turn at at 08:00 on Saturday then.
  4. A full MTD is, I believe, anything over 8 hours. Likewise, 3/4 is 6 hours to 8 hours, and so on. That is written, as Polar69 says, on the paysheet.

What isn't set in stone is what your Regiment decide to do to eke out their MTD budget - for example, if you got paid 2.5 days for 4 weekends, that's 10 MTDs... but if you took the half day as C1, you can then do 5 weekends for the same (paid) MTDs. Though as we're unlikely to get that many weekends in, it's all academic really.

All down to what you want to do - more training, or less training for more money. Assuming an absolute MTD budget per man, you'll get paid the same overall, but would have to put in a whole 4 hours for free to get a bit more out of it. Not really feasible to turn up at 0800 on the Saturday if everyone hopped on the transport to SPTA at 2230 on the Friday...
  5. Below is the definition from JSP 754.

What is the definition of a ‘day’. It has always been my view that a day starts at 0001 and ends at 2359 and in the TA we work days and not 24hr period that start whenever the CoC decide. If you are starting at 2000 hrs then you should have only been on 1/4 day anyway.

If your CoC are refusing to pay for Friday night then it should at least be offered up as C1.

04.0207. An individual will be entitled to a full day’s pay when undertaking a period of annual continuous training, annual camp or a course in lieu (see 04.0213). In all other circumstances, pay is based on the total hours attended in each day and the formula applied to determine whether a full day or a part day’s pay is appropriate is as follows (the figures shown are hours and minutes):

a. If the total number of paid duty hours is less than 2.00, then no pay is applicable.

b. If the total number of paid duty hours is between 2.00 and 3.59 (inclusive) then a quarter of a day’s pay is applicable.

c. If the total number of paid duty hours is between 4.00 and 5.59 (inclusive) then half a day’s pay is applicable.

d. If the total number of paid duty hours is between 6.00 and 7.59 (inclusive) then three-quarters of a day’s pay is applicable.

e. If the total number of paid duty hours is equal to or greater than 8.00, then a full day’s pay is applicable.
  6. Attendance-Based Pay

04.0206. All other categories of Reserve personnel (i.e. those not covered in 04.0203 and NRPS(TA)) are paid on an attendance basis and therefore basic pay for this cadre is expressed as a daily rate, calculated using the annual rate divided by 365.25, as of 1 April 2009 annual salaries in JPA are divisible by 365.25 days to take account of leap years. In all circumstances a day is counted from midnight and pay is issued for a period of continuous attendance within that period. Entitlement to pay should be calculated as follows:

a. For a period of continuous attendance of at least 8 hours up to 24 hours inclusive, whether wholly in one day or partly in one day and partly in another, one day’s pay is to be issued. Only one day’s pay may be paid within a period of 24 hours so that, for example, continuous attendance from 1700 hours on a Friday to 1700 hours on the Saturday entitles the individual to one day’s pay.

b. For periods of continuous attendance of more than 24 hours, one day’s pay is to be issued for each consecutive day (midnight to midnight) during which the Reservist is required to attend for 8 hours or more.

c. When a quarter, a half or three-quarter of a day’s pay is issued for a day preceding or succeeding a full day’s duty, training, weekend or camp , care is to be taken to ensure that the conditions of 04.0206b above are observed, so that, for example, continuous attendance from 1700 hours on a Friday to 1700 hours on the Sunday entitles the individual to 2¾ days’ pay, even though the period is only/under 48 hours.
  7. Forgive me for being dull, but point a) (which limits the pay in a 24 hour period) seems to contradict point c) (which seems to be saying that on a weekend you should expect 2 3/4 days pay and not the 2 days pay that point a) would suggest). Could you please elaborate?
  8. You've misread it. a) only applies to periods of duty of 8 to 24 hours, not to periods longer than 24 hrs.

Hence the example in c) - 1700 to 2359 Friday - 3/4 day, 0001 to 2359 Sat - 1 day (and the only 24 hr duty), 0001 to 1700 Sun - 1 day.

Strictly, if you did 1700 Fri to 1715 Sat, by staying behind to wash up the teacups for example, you would magically shoot up from 1 to 1 3/4 day's entitled pay. But nobody would ever do that :)