What's the coldest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by postman_twit, Jan 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The cold spell we had this year got me thinking. Now it may have been minus umpteen but I was all nice and toastie in my gucchi gear but what did make me shiver was the following memories:

New Years Eve/Day 1985 0200-0400 stag on the gate at Minley.

Despatch rider on exercise in North Yorks (Dec?) 1986

A night sat in a L/R waiting to load for Norway, Marchwood Jan 1987.

These 3 particular times have stuck with me for 25 years. Really drove home the realisation that money spent on decent kit is never wasted.

2. Many a 24hr Water Guard summer & winter.
  3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

A fecking night!!! No heating in the van then?

junior Brecon, 1981 was rather chilly

Falkland Islands 82 ,(may-June) was colder than a witches tit
  4. Marks and Spencer's,Eastbourne circa 2008.Wife asked if her bum looked big in a particular frock.
    Minus 25 without the windchill and a frosty silence for three days.Which was nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

-46 DegC +/- 2 DegC
    Boscombe Down Env Chamber

Real world
    @ 15,000ft on a glacier just north of La Paz, Bolivia

- what the hell am I doing here degrees
    Salisbury Plains soaked through and freezing after some git got us lost and forced us through a river/stream to get to the objective at night in mid Feb late 90's.

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Dogubayazit Turkey -30 slept in the back of a Landrover on the way back from Napal, had my civi arctic sleeping bag inside my Green maggot and was still cold, it could have been colder but that was as low as the high/low thermometer scale went, even colder than 16000ft up the Himalayas
  7. Early 2003 at Wainwright.

The temp was -37 and the windchill -56.

Now that was painfully cold; you could feel your breath freezing and catching in your nose and throat. Walked into JD's Saloon after hiking across the sports fields and my head turned purple and nearly blew off. The lassie behind the bar (Janet) said "Hey, check the British guy with no frickin' hat on!!"

I also made the school-boy error of refuelling a wagon with no gloves on at the POL point and my hands nearly stuck to the nozzle. Full respect to the old boys on the Arctic Convoys for suffering that and worse.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It was a bit chilly cross-country ski training in Lapland last November:

Going downhill at 20-30kph in lycra was character building.

Silly bollux (moi) has been roped into a military style skiing event up there in a couple of weeks, including an overnight in the forest at somwhere between 20-40C and a little swim....if I ever thaw out I guess that will be my personal best.

Edit to add:

I have no idea how cold it is on top of high mountains I been on in storms - I grew a 2ft snotcicle coming down Elbrus on a day 6 guys died in a storm, somehow wondering exactly how cold it is seems a mute point when you wonder if you can get down alive.
  9. Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Numb Nuts'. :)
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They probably won't be numb - they should be fairly warm in my armpits......
  11. Not a working heater, no!
  12. Minus 32 in Bosnia, doing cordon and search Ops "To prove that we can...."

Landrovers running on 100% AVTUR......
  13. Flying to Belize,dressed for getting off the plane in red hot and humid weather and finding that the plane had to divert to Gander to pick some bugar up.We had to get off the plane and walk to the "terminal" in -32 whilst they refuelled the damn plane.
  14. -25c in Zepce '95............wind chill dropped it lower. ND claimed a Fusilier that night and badly wounded another....if I recall FF beat me there. Top floor of the 'Hilton' I think the cold and FFs expert assistance is what kept the guy alive for 25 mins.
  15. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Crashed pissed as a fart in Med hat under a roadsign Nov 83. Was woken by a man on the way to work. I was covered in frost and wearing a T shirt, (had been hoofed out of some bar leaving my coat behind). Couldn't walk or talk until he took me home and his wife got some fluid down me. SSM wasn't too impressed as I was due to fly Home that afternoon.