What's the coldest you've ever been?

The cold spell we had this year got me thinking. Now it may have been minus umpteen but I was all nice and toastie in my gucchi gear but what did make me shiver was the following memories:

New Years Eve/Day 1985 0200-0400 stag on the gate at Minley.

Despatch rider on exercise in North Yorks (Dec?) 1986

A night sat in a L/R waiting to load for Norway, Marchwood Jan 1987.

These 3 particular times have stuck with me for 25 years. Really drove home the realisation that money spent on decent kit is never wasted.

P-T

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
The cold spell we had this year got me thinking. Now it may have been minus umpteen but I was all nice and toastie in my gucchi gear but what did make me shiver was the following memories:

New Years Eve/Day 1985 0200-0400 stag on the gate at Minley.

Despatch rider on exercise in North Yorks (Dec?) 1986

A night sat in a L/R waiting to load for Norway, Marchwood Jan 1987.

These 3 particular times have stuck with me for 25 years. Really drove home the realisation that money spent on decent kit is never wasted.

P-T
A fecking night!!! No heating in the van then?

junior Brecon, 1981 was rather chilly

Falkland Islands 82 ,(may-June) was colder than a witches tit

Marks and Spencer's,Eastbourne circa 2008.Wife asked if her bum looked big in a particular frock.
Minus 25 without the windchill and a frosty silence for three days.Which was nice.

Workwise
-46 DegC +/- 2 DegC
Boscombe Down Env Chamber

Real world
-20ish
@ 15,000ft on a glacier just north of La Paz, Bolivia

Military
- what the hell am I doing here degrees
Salisbury Plains soaked through and freezing after some git got us lost and forced us through a river/stream to get to the objective at night in mid Feb late 90's.

S_R

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Dogubayazit Turkey -30 slept in the back of a Landrover on the way back from Napal, had my civi arctic sleeping bag inside my Green maggot and was still cold, it could have been colder but that was as low as the high/low thermometer scale went, even colder than 16000ft up the Himalayas

Early 2003 at Wainwright.

The temp was -37 and the windchill -56.

Now that was painfully cold; you could feel your breath freezing and catching in your nose and throat. Walked into JD's Saloon after hiking across the sports fields and my head turned purple and nearly blew off. The lassie behind the bar (Janet) said "Hey, check the British guy with no frickin' hat on!!"

I also made the school-boy error of refuelling a wagon with no gloves on at the POL point and my hands nearly stuck to the nozzle. Full respect to the old boys on the Arctic Convoys for suffering that and worse.

Alsacien

MIA
It was a bit chilly cross-country ski training in Lapland last November:

Going downhill at 20-30kph in lycra was character building.

Silly bollux (moi) has been roped into a military style skiing event up there in a couple of weeks, including an overnight in the forest at somwhere between 20-40C and a little swim....if I ever thaw out I guess that will be my personal best.

Edit to add:

I have no idea how cold it is on top of high mountains I been on in storms - I grew a 2ft snotcicle coming down Elbrus on a day 6 guys died in a storm, somehow wondering exactly how cold it is seems a mute point when you wonder if you can get down alive.

Silly bollux (moi) has been roped into a military style skiing event up there in a couple of weeks, including an overnight in the forest at somwhere between 20-40C and a little swim....if I ever thaw out I guess that will be my personal best.
Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Numb Nuts'. :)

Flying to Belize,dressed for getting off the plane in red hot and humid weather and finding that the plane had to divert to Gander to pick some bugar up.We had to get off the plane and walk to the "terminal" in -32 whilst they refuelled the damn plane.

-25c in Zepce '95............wind chill dropped it lower. ND claimed a Fusilier that night and badly wounded another....if I recall FF beat me there. Top floor of the 'Hilton' I think the cold and FFs expert assistance is what kept the guy alive for 25 mins.

Crashed pissed as a fart in Med hat under a roadsign Nov 83. Was woken by a man on the way to work. I was covered in frost and wearing a T shirt, (had been hoofed out of some bar leaving my coat behind). Couldn't walk or talk until he took me home and his wife got some fluid down me. SSM wasn't too impressed as I was due to fly Home that afternoon.

Odd that, but I was on exercise in Norway way back when. January to April. Down to -34°C, but when it got up toward about -5 or so we'd start stripping our layers off, sometimes down to pullover (the old fawn woolly-pullies) and didn't feel too cold. Not a problem but, having been delivered back to Hull on the Galahad, standing on the dockyard dressed in every layer we possibly could and we were all fcukin' freezin'!

For P-T: You're right, it does stick in your memory - that was with the ACE Mobile Force (30Sigs) in 1976!! :)

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Fitting the lights in MPA was fun you could get all four seasons while you were climbing up the lighting tower,from gale force wind ,rain, whiteout blizzards, to sweating your arse off, and back in about 20 minutes

-25c in Zepce '95............wind chill dropped it lower. ND claimed a Fusilier that night and badly wounded another....if I recall FF beat me there. Top floor of the 'Hilton' I think the cold and FFs expert assistance is what kept the guy alive for 25 mins.
I was there that night too. Same Company but different platoon. Even the CSMs gnome froze!

Skiing into a hole cut in a frozen lake in Norway on ice breaking drills gets a tad chilly.

Seems mental that when you claw your way out, you need to roll in powder snow to absorb the water.

Makes for the worlds quickest change parade.

Early January 1991 - coldest recorded night in UK up to that time, -24c. My sleeping Bag zip bust, and I got frostbitten toes on the moors above Catterick. Was roundly abused until the next night, when the majority of the rest of the squadron got hypothermia.