Whats the claim route these days for tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by theylie, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it via SPVA & AFC route?

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If that doesnt work then RBL are set up to assist this!

3. If I was you, I'd make that you're screaming "what" at every occassion and complaining that the noise is keeping you up at night. The RBL are great with cases - I've got it in both ears, but the army couldn't give a rats ass. Also if you do have any loss of hearing (it was in 2002 when I had problems after leaving) they only count hearing loss over 50 decibels. So your doctor can say your partially deaf, but you need to lose (Correct me if I'm wrong) 20% of your hearing ABOVE the 50db mark to qualify for anything.

4. Cheers! Is that the best route - to let them deal with it?

5. kin hell. I've had this for years. Never thought about a claim. My lot are always shouting at me at home lol.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was waiting to finally fail my works medical hearing test. Seeing I'm no longer working it may be worth chasing up now!

7. I received a one-off payment after I left the service with tinnitus, a touch of Meniures disease and my hearing in one ear impaired 15-19% (they said after testing) due to high frequency deafness caused by the ineffectiveness of the ear defenders issued during the early part of my career (the plastic plugs - remember them?). If it had been 20% or more, I would have received an on-going disability pension - hence the 19%! If your hearing deteriorates further to cross the 20% threshhold, then that is attributed to age and you cannot claim the DP once you have accepted the lump sum, but you can get free hearing aids, apparently (wow!). It may have changed now, but I had to claim through the War Pensions route, not the Industrial Injuries system.

It was worth the messing around. I can't remember the amount I received but it was better than a slap on the belly with a wet fish and that was in 1990. Inflation probably means that now it would be better than two slaps!

8. I've got this as well in one ear although I'm sure I can hear it appearing in my other ear. I also suffer from occassional ear aches in the ear with tinnitus, does anyone else?

9. Under the War Pensions scheme "If your condition is Noise-Induced Sensorineural Hearing Loss and your disablement is less than 20% we will not be able to pay you a pension or lump sum."

Leaflet 10 – Notes about War Pension claims for deafness.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/pdfs/publications/va_leaflets/valeaflet10.pdf

As stated above this applies to the WAR PENSION scheme

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I got mys first Tinitus on a familiarisation flight at Shornecliffe before we had even fired any live ammo. Its been getting worse but what fgalled was being refused a hearing test at my discharge medical despite being issue amplivox on a biff chit as I had been sick to get it. NI didnt help with all the helo flights.
    I shall probably see what happens if I get the next job as there is normally a hearing test involved. I was warned at my last one about high end loss in my left ear. Oddly enough what spurred me to getting the cans on a chit was the publishing on Pt 1s in 88 about NIHL and how CO's were to do something to reduce it.
    I blagged a radio hand set for the ecm we had but was jumped on as the patrol commander wanted us to use head sets. FFS its not as if Patrick was fooled by it!

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sometimes I think my mobile is ringing, its almost worth me leaving it on vibrate only as I struggle to hear it. I also often dont need music (walkman) as I have my own tunes in stereo courtesy of the tinnitus!

12. Yeh, I've got some high pitched loss in my right ear. It was due to the bloody Clansman headgear we had in the 90's. They say that low level noise takes out the long hairs in your ears that affect the high pitched hearing, short hairs affect the low.

13. Ive had this for years and never really thought about doing anything about it. To many loud bangs in the 80's and 90's with only little foamy yellow things for protection, or in some cases nothing at all. I now suffer from a constant high pitch ringing in my left ear and occasional ringing in the right one. Suffer odd bouts of dizziness and sometimes low pitched noise and tone sounds over amplified.

Then again, it could be down to the amount of times Ive been punched in the heed.

14. Mine is especially wonderful at night when it's quiet, lovely ringing for hours!

15. Obviously they must have changed the policy. It did seem at the time that it was very subjective and depended on the Board's recommendation rather than meeting specific numerical criteria. In fact, I don't remember hearing or reading anything about the percentage limits until I after received the payment, when the accompanying literature said 15%-19% lump sum, 20%+ was a disabiltiy pension. Maybe it was linked to the fact it could be directly attributed to the ineffective ear defenders issued before the Amplivox arrived on the scene. They were obviously inundated with claims and have decided to pull the plug (pardon the pun). Maybe I was just lucky!