Whats the bouncing bomb extreme temperature?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by MrBane, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Hey,

We're just packing and we're trying to decide on civvi or issue dos bags for deployment. What does the bomb go down to for the extreme range?
    I've got a -15 civvi aztec here I fancy taking for the lower weight and bulk, but obviously don't want my testes to drop off in the middle of the night.

Thanks for your help guys.

2. If you trash your Aztec during the middle of winter in Afghanistan, will you be able to exchange it?

3. MrBane

Had the experience before of civvi kit getting trashed and having to go to the Q, it's never a problem on deployment, it's something we all do. Last time I was told just to hand the replacement kit back at the end of the tour.

4. Bouncing Bomb Spec is -15.

5. MrBane

Ideal, thanks duff. Well the Aztec wins out on the sheer fact it doesn't require an entire bergen to itself to carry. Woo. :D

6. More than that surely... it's classed as a 5 season.

7. That is the reason it is so feckin mahoosive. It is way beyond what is needed in most places in the world. Incidentally you need to go on a course to learn how to fit the liner ;)

8. Not really worth it McBane - boiling hot nights out there at the moment and the forseeable, better off with just a Jungle bag, wont need anything more than that with you for the duration of a tour, just wasted space.

9. Top tip: US poncho liner as an extra is a fabulous piece of kit.

10. I remember for a good while I used to carry a softee 3 or something. I used to use that inside the bomb for extra comfort (and easier cleaning). Also when warm, you can just climb in to it, and not bother with the bomb.

Isn't that the way we are going now anyway?

11. MrBane

I doubt that's sufficient for when we hit their peak winter and I'm out in the middle of the ulu. :)
    Some of our guys on a winter tour a few years back were telling us how they had their jungle dos inside their bombs with all their warm gear on and they were still cold. :(

12. It hit minus 30 in Kabul over christmas last year. I would stick the bouncing bomb in your MFO box. You will be tosty if it gets cold and you can get money back for the MFO box.

13. Yup, minus 15 nightime temps during the Afghanistan winter.

14. It is very tempting to buy Walty light bags but very few in the market except for high altitude climbers kit meet the spec of the Army doss bag.

15. W.A.H!

Jebus, all the fun has gone from this site, we missed out on Mcbane shivering in his Jungle bag, mumbling through his chattering teeth "ttthee lladdds on aarrrrsssse ssaidd ittttt woullld bee ookkkkk" :twisted: