Whats the bouncing bomb extreme temperature?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hey,

We're just packing and we're trying to decide on civvi or issue dos bags for deployment. What does the bomb go down to for the extreme range?
I've got a -15 civvi aztec here I fancy taking for the lower weight and bulk, but obviously don't want my testes to drop off in the middle of the night.

Thanks for your help guys.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Had the experience before of civvi kit getting trashed and having to go to the Q, it's never a problem on deployment, it's something we all do. Last time I was told just to hand the replacement kit back at the end of the tour.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ideal, thanks duff. Well the Aztec wins out on the sheer fact it doesn't require an entire bergen to itself to carry. Woo. :D

That is the reason it is so feckin mahoosive. It is way beyond what is needed in most places in the world. Incidentally you need to go on a course to learn how to fit the liner ;)

Not really worth it McBane - boiling hot nights out there at the moment and the forseeable, better off with just a Jungle bag, wont need anything more than that with you for the duration of a tour, just wasted space.

I remember for a good while I used to carry a softee 3 or something. I used to use that inside the bomb for extra comfort (and easier cleaning). Also when warm, you can just climb in to it, and not bother with the bomb.

Isn't that the way we are going now anyway?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
labrat said:
Not really worth it McBane - boiling hot nights out there at the moment and the forseeable, better off with just a Jungle bag, wont need anything more than that with you for the duration of a tour, just wasted space.
I doubt that's sufficient for when we hit their peak winter and I'm out in the middle of the ulu. :)
Some of our guys on a winter tour a few years back were telling us how they had their jungle dos inside their bombs with all their warm gear on and they were still cold. :(

labrat said:
It hit minus 30 in Kabul over christmas last year. I would stick the bouncing bomb in your MFO box. You will be tosty if it gets cold and you can get money back for the MFO box.

It is very tempting to buy Walty light bags but very few in the market except for high altitude climbers kit meet the spec of the Army doss bag.

saladdoger said:
labrat said:
It hit minus 30 in Kabul over christmas last year. I would stick the bouncing bomb in your MFO box. You will be tosty if it gets cold and you can get money back for the MFO box.
W.A.H!

Jebus, all the fun has gone from this site, we missed out on Mcbane shivering in his Jungle bag, mumbling through his chattering teeth "ttthee lladdds on aarrrrsssse ssaidd ittttt woullld bee ookkkkk" :twisted:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
W.A.H!

Jebus, all the fun has gone from this site, we missed out on Mcbane shivering in his Jungle bag, mumbling through his chattering teeth "ttthee lladdds on aarrrrsssse ssaidd ittttt woullld bee ookkkkk" :twisted:
It's easy to mistake a wah for someone that would never leave the comfort of Bastion and their duvets. ;)

G

GLESGA-NED

People carry far to much kit these days. Ideal kit will double up as day wear in the badlands of Helmand followed by sleeping and night attire in Kabul. I personally reccommend the items below for the full range of extreme Afghan temperatures. The tash is optional when away from Bastion

chocolate_frog said:
duffdike said:
Bouncing Bomb Spec is -15.
More than that surely... it's classed as a 5 season.
So is there an Arctic bag still kicking around in the system then? I was under the impression that the bomb with a liner, bivvy bag and thermarest was the ECW sleeping system.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wherever I've come across the mention of an arctic sleeping system, it's always been the bouncing bomb. I don't know if there is or ever was a seperate system. :?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stumpy4154 The NAAFI Bar 3
Blogg The Intelligence Cell 8
Faded Mobile Phones 2