Whats the BJJ like in the British army?

Is it a proper serious jiu-jitsu team that can help you learn like a bjj place would ? I'm thinking of doing BJJ any info would be helpful thanks

It’s not a big sport in the Army. A unit might have a club for a period of time depending on who’s there at the time. However, there’s money for it and an Army and Corps teams. There isn’t anything stopping you going to a local club either.

They do open contests down at Aldershot I think, open weight/belt.

I follow them on

British Army BJJ (@BritishArmy_BJJ) | Twitter

There is a great charity, Reorg to rehabilitate injured veterans.

THE REORG JIU JITSU FOUNDATION | The Royal Marines Charity

Plus their Gi's are ally as fook

Whatever background in the angry white PJ's you come from, BJJ is a very useful addition to your game. Plus it is usually pretty chilled at the dojo, good phys and a great way to make friends.

Oss.
Has the traditional pairing off the newbie with an overenthusiastic mid grade belt at the end of training been binned then? I was lucky when they did it to me that I am old enough to have trained osaewaza and even better atemiwaza regularly in mat work.

Has the traditional pairing off the newbie with an overenthusiastic mid grade belt at the end of training been binned then? I was lucky when they did it to me that I am old enough to have trained osaewaza and even better atemiwaza regularly in mat work.
It's all good experience!

Mind you, I cheerfully remember being paired off with a knob of an Inspecter one year for officer safety training. He was a bit keen (not actually good, just wouldn't realise it was all essentially nonsense) and I was left with some bruising.

Next year I just smacked him first as hard as I could. Worth the wait.

Anyway, if the unit doesn't have a local club I am sure the nearest civilian club won't be far away.

I remember seeing somewhere on a twitter feed I am on some infantry guys (Mercians, I think) being introduced to civilian Krav Maga.

Martial arts serve an fitness and cohesion purpose (I suppose I would say that as I am into them), with the side effect being the ability to display controlled aggression when necessary.

Why the British Army Needs a Combatives System - The Wavell Room

Ultimately, it's fun that should be encouraged. Who doesn't like a bit of ninja?

It's all good experience!

Mind you, I cheerfully remember being paired off with a knob of an Inspecter one year for officer safety training. He was a bit keen (not actually good, just wouldn't realise it was all essentially nonsense) and I was left with some bruising.

Next year I just smacked him first as hard as I could. Worth the wait.

Anyway, if the unit doesn't have a local club I am sure the nearest civilian club won't be far away.

I remember seeing somewhere on a twitter feed I am on some infantry guys (Mercians, I think) being introduced to civilian Krav Maga.

Martial arts serve an fitness and cohesion purpose (I suppose I would say that as I am into them), with the side effect being the ability to display controlled aggression when necessary.

Why the British Army Needs a Combatives System - The Wavell Room

Ultimately, it's fun that should be encouraged. Who doesn't like a bit of ninja?

I have met a few people who never returned to training after being roughed up by an over keen white belt with stripes on their first lesson. I still think it was not on pairing me with a purple on my first night, particularly one so lacking in self control. Luckily he didn't know why you don't cross your ankles - he does now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Weapons, Equipment & Rations 8
Stumpy4154 The NAAFI Bar 3
Blogg The Intelligence Cell 8