Whats the best way of knowing how far you running?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chris42, Jan 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont go to the gym so dont have atreadmill to time how many miles im doing. I just run outside but I don tknow how far im actually running ? how you supposed to know ?
  2. Attach a role of bog roll to your back, when you finish the run pull it all in and cout the sheets.

Take a measuring of a sheet, and multiply by the number of sheets. Hey presto, distance run.

If you road run, take a car round. Use the Trip.

Mapmyrun from above is good, if you know your route well.
  3. Google Earth. plot your route and measure with ruler option and choose Feet/Kms/Miles etc.
  4. Another one to try http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

If you're going to be doing a lot of running and training for distance, buy a Garmin forerunner or similar.
  5. Gmaps pedomter is pretty good for planning your runs.

A garmin Forerunner is the best option for seeing how you're getting on whilst running. You might want to consider the Nike+ system with iPod.

It's not as accurate as a Garmin as I find mine to be over by about 500mtrs on a 10k run and about 750mtrs on an 18.5k run (though they say it can be calibrated but for some reason it eludes me). Though the Nike+ website it links to is good for keeping track of your progress and also has a feature like gmaps to plan and record your runs on.
  6. buy a local A-Z , use the scale to measure distance
  7. OS 1:50000 - a simple route card and measurement.
  8. simply count your strides as you run to the end of your street and back, then measure the distance using a 30cm ruler and a piece of chalk. divide the distance in metres by the number of strides you took. this will give you your stride length. when you next go for a run, count the number of strides you take on your run and multiply it by your stride length.

simple. :roll:
  9. Goto Google and search GoogleEarth, the free software uses a satelite so you can work it out easily.
  10. Measure the distance between the pubs.
  11. Google Maps; go to the My Maps option and pick distance measurement tool. If you get bored of running three miles, you can run 5.14E-13 light years instead ;)
  12. www.mapmytri.com is pretty good. Have used it for a while and had no issues
  13. this has got to be a bite?? what ever happened to a OS map, a bit of paper and a straight edge???