whats the best trade?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by betty_swollocks, Jun 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, Im in the last stages of the long process of joining the army, and im definately going for RE. Just wondering what any of you think the best trade is for a sprog? im thinking general mechanic (fitter general).

2. they will tell you to go fitter as there are a shortage of fitters within the corps, a good enough trade no arguement BUT for civvy street it has to be sparky / plumber or fridge mech for me.

lots of others will disagree no doubt but they all know the truth. :p :p :p :p
  3. well i dont really have civvy street in mind, being 16 and hoping for a long career in tha army. Is that something i should be thinking about? Ive been speaking to a fitter, he says its a great trade, the best in fact. ive still got sparky and plumber in mind, they were the other two of my three choices i think. i think i saw on a thread that you were a sparky, whats that like as a trade?

thanks for your help.
  4. sparks is a top trade but i am duty bound to say that but it really is. i have enjoyed my time within the corps doing my trade. :D :D :D :D

at the end of the day it is your own choice, civvy street may seem a long time away but do not bank on doing a full career not many do nowadays,i am a pension prisoner now pure & simple. so choose wisely is all i will say to you.

good luck whichever trade you decide on regardless you will enjoy the corps simply because we are the best...............hurrah :p :p :p :p

5. I hate to sa it but listen to our friend Knocker there!! Some sound advice and remember even if you spend 22 years in the Army your Civvy career will be longer!!
  6. knew you would come round to my way of thinking sooner rather than later ronnie 8) 8) 8) 8)
  7. the best trade is pilot or weapons systems operator in the Royal Air Force!
    best ever!
  8. Reading not their strong point though?

This is the sappers thread.... do one crab. :)
  9. bore off blue job :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: get down your end & play.
  10. On behalf of all Fitters, I'm offended you had to ask :cry:
  11. WHY :\\ :\\ :\\ :\\
  12. It is, to tell you the truth going to be sh1t as a fitter in the future i was running a fitter section with 120+ bits of kit to look after now after the PFI handover i now have less that 50 the skill fade will kick in and everything will get left to REME when we go on tour You'll end up driving or knockering not that theres anything wrong with it but you will feel a bit left out in the cold POM would be my advice if you like diggers
  13. I as always am with Knocker on this one, it has to be Sparky, but as a push plumber or fridge mech, one of the things you have to remember is that at the moment you can only serve 22 years ( although this is due to change on 010108 when a 12 year engagement will be standard then offered longer ) I am not far off leaving the Corps and i hopefully have a long career ahead of me in civvie street.

Have a look here for info

14. Ive got the job as a general mechanic! ive been told this morning that i start training in january. i was hoping september but im not complaining! just got to find a job until then. surely theres prospects in civvy street for the skills i'll acquire as a fitter!? How long after leaving the army do you start recieving pension?

thanks for all the replies.
  15. if you serve the full term (22 years) then straight away if not then you have to wait until you reach 55, sorry.