Whats that film...

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by tothepubandbeyond, Apr 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking for a film but unfortunately I can't remember what it's called. Its about the build up to a nuclear war, made late 80's or early 90's using archive footage from the 80's. The storyline is a Russian hardilner takes power via a coup, cuts the airbridge to west Berlin and the situation goes downhill from there.
    Anyone know it?
  2. Only one I can think of is The Sum of All Fears? :scratch:
  3. No it was done documentary style. Here's all I can remember about the storyline: Russian Hardliner takes power in a coup disappearing Gorbachev(?). He restores the full on communism, so the western powers begin sanctions, he responds by placing west Berlin under siege. The US responds by sending a convoy of ships to reinforce their European forces, leading to protests in America and Britain about 'Warmongering'. The Russians attack the convoy but the Americans break through. after further negotiations fail the land war starts with the Russian invasion of west Germany. The allies are initially forced back, but turn the tide with precision airstrikes on the Russian CofC. After that it escalates into Nuclear war
  4. Is it listed in any of these ToThePub? LINK
  5. Is it 'The day after'?
  6. It was linked to from here a while ago. Can't remember the name though.
  7. 'The Day After', I reckon: maybe 'By Dawn's Early Light'.
  8. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Sounds like the Tom Clancey book, Red Storm Rising. Sure you've not read the book and are thinking it was a film?
  9. Unfortunately none of the above, It was made only using archive footage, such as Maggie giving a speech to parliament, protests against nuclear weapons. I think it was made not long after the fall of the Berlin wall. I did find it on here a while ago.
  10. I'm sure, I followed a link on here to it on google videos.
  11. Was it "Threads" ?
  12. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Yeah, Threads. I remember it now. 80's BBC film?
  13. Similar plot line but the entire film was archive footage. Threads also goes beyond the nuclear attack whereas in the film I'm thinking of the nuclear attack is the end, then it switches to "but here's what actually happened" and shows the end of the Warsaw pact and the fall of the Berlin wall
    Edit: Not "the day after" either. I think it was British made but I don't think it was BBC