Whats that bit of the Bergen for?

I've asked around and searched on here but no one can tell me what the little elastic bit on the front of bergens are for. Its just above the pouch on the front.

Any helps appreciated, Cheers!

It is probably used for attaching things

heidtheba said:
So you fit your rollmat inside do you?
Fair point.

TheCheerfulSubbie said:
I was told it was for holding an ice axe. It must be true, I heard it in the pub and everything!
Maybe. It doesnt look very secure though. Its stiched in the middle and you'd need to tie a knot to hold it.

True, but wouldn't the handle part of an ice axe go through the webbing strap on the side of the pouch of the Bergan?

I'm more worried about what the little pouches are for, that are under the lid of utility pouches.

Mind you, I have a very dull life. 8O

TheCheerfulSubbie said:
True, but wouldn't the handle part of an ice axe go through the webbing strap on the side of the pouch of the Bergan?

I'm more worried about what the little pouches are for, that are under the lid of utility pouches.

Mind you, I have a very dull life. 8O
You mean water bottle pouches and they are for puritabs

I always put my dirty socks in the 'roof' pouch.

Only if the Landry is too far away of course - one doesn't join a Corps to be uncomfortable!!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's to give Toyah Wilcox something to sing about.

To tie the old wooden handled non-folding entrenching tool (shovel) on with or an ice axe if you are one of Them

[][][][] said:
I've asked around and searched on here but no one can tell me what the little elastic bit on the front of bergens are for. Its just above the pouch on the front.

Any helps appreciated, Cheers!
:? perhaps you can tie foliage for camoflage :wink:

Yep- it's for attaching ice axes. I suppose most squaddies could think of other things you could try attaching with it but it's probably best not to bother.

shovel GS as far as i know. Not much call for ice axes!

Yep, its for an ice axe, if you look at the bottom left you will find the loop for sticking the head through. Incidentally the upper ties are about as much use as tits on fish when frozen and tied in a thumb knot and muggins here has cold fingers...

Now then, what are the 2 loops at the bottom of either side of the back for then? (The issue daysac also has these).