What's Lyneham like right now?

Swindon,

I had the pleasure of being a juror at Swindon Crown Court for a fortnight a while back, we did not see the cream of Swindon society, in its own way it was very sad.

Anyone hoping for a nostalgia fix, look away now. Sorry, but it's a Facebook link for those not on it.

That has changed a hell of a lot since I left. I’ve just looked on Google maps and there are an awful lot of new blocks built. The only ones I stayed in that are left are the Brookside blocks, just behind and to the right of the old airman’s mess or whatever they call the cookhouse, and the 4 super blocks behind the NAAFI complex. I believe even the Sgt‘s Mess annex has been changed.

It’s a shame Topgear didn’t do the old Liney trick of driving around the peri track, leaving the vehicle in gear and jumping out and then running around it before getting in again before it ran off the track. They could have also done the previous weeks trick of towing people around. We used the wash bays which were always wet and metal drip trays.

RP.

snapper

War Hero
That has changed a hell of a lot since I left. I’ve just looked on Google maps and there are an awful lot of new blocks built. The only ones I stayed in that are left are the Brookside blocks, just behind and to the right of the old airman’s mess or whatever they call the cookhouse, and the 4 super blocks behind the NAAFI complex. I believe even the Sgt‘s Mess annex has been changed.

It’s a shame Topgear didn’t do the old Liney trick of driving around the peri track, leaving the vehicle in gear and jumping out and then running around it before getting in again before it ran off the track. They could have also done the previous weeks trick of towing people around. We used the wash bays which were always wet and metal drip trays.

RP.
Airman's mess or the Wessex Restaurant as it was known was shut when the RAF moved out, it was partly re-opened during the rebuild works for use as a canteen. The contractor converted the dining room on the left side into offices. Now has other uses.

Two of us (ex-depot) went back a few years ago for a REME Association delegates meeting (the last one, if I recall) and tried to find what was left of the old Poperinghe Barracks. The answer - nothing, the site was all 4 bedroom detached with expensive cars outside. The Sandhurst block was still there but the Sergeants Mess had been condemned and the AAC had been closed for a while. I recognised the old MQs, but they were occupied mostly by civvies. It had been obvious for a long time that Wokingham Council had wanted REME turfed out and once they had gone, I believe they levelled the whole site. My understanding is that West Court is to be converted into a hotel and there was a campaign to keep St Eligius Church. Apart from that, everything else is gorn.
1617736259439.png