Whats it like being an driver in the RLC?

i’m thinking of joining to be a regular driver and i’m wondering what it’ll be like. I don’t mind being active but honestly im quite lazy and i like driving. I’d like to travel a bit and would rather do something behind the lines. What’s your experiences? Whats your day to day like? Whats the accommodation like? Are you posted overseas much?

If your lazy then somehow I don't think you'll be going to a unit that does behind the lines stuff, You;ll get out of it what you put in to it. Acomm will vary from camp to camp. Theres scope to go overseas if you've been watching the news you'll see there is British forces deployed in Eastern Europe these all need RLC support to opperate.

Drivers also have radio operator and air dispatch trades within the role as well.

Being a supply driver is not like working for Eddie, you do not just roll up, park up, and then wait for someone to unload you and then trundle off for another load after a full english in a service station.

The wagon is your responsibility, you get a puncture at 23.00hrs, you are changing the wheel even if it is raining, or snowing.

You roll into an exercise, or operational, location at 01.00hrs (when its dark o'clock) you make sure your vehicle is ready to move at a moments notice. Oh yeah, that is after you have camouflaged the vehicle, then you might get to make yourself a brew and some food, then get a sleep in the back of the wagon with all your clothes on.......and that is if the Sgt Major does not want you to do guard duty for an hour, seeing as you are still awake and wandering around.

Calling from personal experience: You may need to change the injector pipes on the engine whilst it is raining on the hard shoulder of the M6. Or, crawl around under a wagon for a few hours, in the dark, whilst it is snowing, to change the wiring loom. Or, your co-driver navigates you down the wrong dead end single track lane, you manage to turn the wagon around without gong down a ditch after you have disconnected the 27.5KVA generator your are towing..........the generator you have to manhandle and tow using rope until it is turned around, 2 hours, then you get bollocked for arriving at the location late.

I was not a full-time driver but, got a posting where I had to do it as a large part of my job for a year. Being a driver is not easy, it can take some hard physical work, be very long hours, and technically demanding. So, if it is an easy life you are after I would look elsewhere.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
If you’re “quite lazy” then seriously consider if the army is really for you.

Not everyone can be the RSM, but the Army is increasingly small, it doesn’t need passengers.

As others have pointed out, being a driver in the army is not like being a civvy driver. You will have to maintain and do minor repairs to your vehicle, including wheel changes. There's no calling a contractor to come out and sort it for you.
On operations or excersise you will work every hour god sends and it will be relenteless, and often hard work.
The days of being safely 'behind the lines' were never really a thing (especially these days) unless posted to a specific unit, and, in my 12 years, I've found myself in the situation of being closer to the sharp end than I would have liked on several occasions.
If you haven't been following the events in Ukraine, then it may be worth your while finding out just how much effort the Uke's are putting in to destroying the Russian logistics train.
If you want really, really (really) hard work and long hours, try tank transporting.
And I don't regret a day of it, but it's not for the lazy, far from it.

Dreamseller

War Hero
i’m thinking of joining to be a regular driver and i’m wondering what it’ll be like. I don’t mind being active but honestly im quite lazy and i like driving. I’d like to travel a bit and would rather do something behind the lines. What’s your experiences? Whats your day to day like? Whats the accommodation like? Are you posted overseas much?
Drivers weren't always "behind the lines" in places like Afghanistan.

When you say you are lazy, is that laziness in terms of can't be bothered or just never had an interest in the things you are doing so never tried?

Accommodation can be hit or miss at times.

On operations or exercise you will work every hour god sends and it will be relenteless, and often hard work.
Exercises are now quite strict with driver hours plus 24 hour stand downs (every 9 days I think) nowadays.

Latest Threads