Whats it like being a driver?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by davee, Jul 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scored quiete high on the Aptitude test and could do about 60 different jobs but i want to be a driver i have researched into the job but can never find any real accounts of what its like so i just thought id ask in here and see if anyone could help me

Thanks in advance

2. Depends on your aspirations.

Do you want to be a Warrant Officer Class One? Then join as an RLC Chef, as you will have a 1 in 8 chance.

Where as, an RLC Driver has a 1 in 450 (ish) chance.

It depends how long you wish to serve, and what you want out of the army.

3. its driving mate......fecking hell.....if you have a list of 60 Jobs....shopping around never hurt anyone!!!!

4. I hope to have a long stint in the army and go as far as poss

Cheers Mr Dep i figured that out

i meant like would i be driving trucks all the time or have varied vehicles and where is the likelyiest place id serve

5. I'm serving with an RLC driver who is out with us in Iraq driving a Bulldog for the medics. It's not just trucks. He's doing the same job as me but I'm RAC.

6. RLC driver is a good trade, but its like everything else, if your a decent soldier, promotion will come. However its not as good as Driver Tank Transporter, which as everyone knows but few will admit, is the PINNACLE of any RLC drivers career :wink:

7. And there was me thinking that Master Driver should be the pinnacle..............Silly me.

8. I always thought the pinnacle was working for Eddy Stobart

SK :D

9. With spelling and grammar like that..........................AT perhaps?

10. I am an RLC Dvr Trade Sgt mate and it is like any job in the Army, you will get out of it what you put into it. There will be times when you are bored shitless on a vehicle park cleaning out cabs, de-rusting tool bins, proper niff naff and trivia crap. There will be other times where you are tested to the absolute maximum like my guys on TELIC at the moment. We have 19 year olds, fresh in the unit, driving big vehicles under some shitty conditions, such as driving by computer screen going off cameras mounted on the front, in full body armour, helmet, side arm and pouches hanging everywhere!

It is a very rewarding job when you get it right.

Not only that, in this day and age, the only job where you are guarenteed 8 hours sleep a night!!!!! (I dont agree with it before you old crusties jump on me!)

As has been said, there is no harm in shopping around though, you can get a driving licence in most trades now mate!

Good luck with whatever you pick matey.

Mick

11. Just thought i would point out but mr stopard is a fcuking dirty word to us smaller independent hauliers trying to eek out a living against off shore bank accounting rate cutting barstewards like FRANK STOBART (eddy fcked off)

12. fcuking boring

13. Haha, I wish! I'm not an RLC driver but in the RAC, driver's hours don't mean jack! Of course, when the work is needed done, you've got to do it, but I've been almost falling asleep at the wheel (steering yoke) of tracked vehicles and there is nothing I can do about it apart from not kill everyone.

14. You need to speak to your union rep. ;)