What's in your back garden?

Z

Zarathustra

Looks better than some of the trenches I've dug. Not a bad nights kip until it rains and someone stands on your head.

Christ, and I complain about my neighbours chickens! Sod having him as a next door neighbour. I notice one of the "walts" is a shelf stacker at Sainsbury's - what's the betting there is an ARRSER or two in the clip? :)

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Add to trench shit, rats, lice, bits of dead bodies, continuous noise, and send the chaps back with TB, frostbite, trench foot etc. and then I suppose then you might just start to get near it but even then the fear factor isn't there.

ugly

LE
BBC News - A night in the trenches for Surrey neighbours

Looks interesting but wouldn't want to spend a night in it. I didn't realise until I went to the Somme Heritage Centre in Newtonards that the guys spent 4 days on 4 days off in the trenches in WW1
You need to read 12 days on the somme. It was generally 4 days in forward reserve, followed by four days in front trenches followed by 4 days in rear reserve and then out of the front line for up to 12 days or more depending upon High command. the last 4 days would be classed as rest but was generally used for work parties etc.

"not many an say they've spent a night in a trench"

Apart from anyone that's done basic - didn't the figure of 1 in 12 of the UK population get mentioned a while ago? That would be 5 million by my reckoning

Add to trench shit, rats, lice, bits of dead bodies, continuous noise, and send the chaps back with TB, frostbite, trench foot etc. and then I suppose then you might just start to get near it but even then the fear factor isn't there.
I take it you have never been to Nuneaton have you.

When they realise your not from round there that's when the fear kicks in.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Trench mouth as well. Lovely disease, also known as acute necrotising ulcerative gingivitis!

ugly

LE

I understand!

Back to the video/news item folks.

Robertshaw the owner of the WW1 trench is a very serious military historian ( just watch some of the history channel programs on SKY etc) and is the 'top knob' on history within the RLC etc.

A great guy - so do not 'diss' him please.

Robertshaw the owner of the WW1 trench is a very serious military historian ( just watch some of the history channel programs on SKY etc) and is the 'top knob' on history within the RLC etc.
Hmm. Not saying anyhting

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

pffft. I used to do match day steward at barnsley FC. now THAT'S scary. :(

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
You need to read 12 days on the somme. It was generally 4 days in forward reserve, followed by four days in front trenches followed by 4 days in rear reserve and then out of the front line for up to 12 days or more depending upon High command. the last 4 days would be classed as rest but was generally used for work parties etc.
Unlike the frogs, who would put a battalion in the line until it bled out and then replace it. And then wondered why they had a mutiny.

Back to the video/news item folks.

A great guy - so do not 'diss' him please.
Used to work in the National Army Museum before becoming curator of the RLC museum. I recall him proceeding around NAM at a great rate of knots having mislaid his passport on the day of a family holiday. A nice chap all in all, and good at his job.