Whats in the hills above Kata?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by TheIronDuke, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

We're fed up paying 5 star prices for a swimming pool, restauraunt, Concierge, laundry and stuff we never use. So we fancy getting an apartment / gaff in the hills above Kata. The beach side of the Big Buddah for choice.

We'll hire a jeep, so getting to the beach aint an issue. Three of four weeks over Christmas and New Year.

Any suggestions, links or info welcome. Cheers.

2. Not Kata but IMHO much better and if you hire a car as accessible.

Try Kantary Bay Appartments if you want a long stay over at Panwa Cape (by the Aquarium if you know it) alternatively the Cape Panwa hotel will have just completed a refit in Nov and is offering deals on Jacuzzi appartments, but it is a little more pricey.

http://www.capepanwa.com/

http://www.kantarybay-phuket.com/

Both share facilities and are linked by a regular bus(every 10mins)

Also good food at Sawasdee and the hill top restaurants as well as the hotels own. Sunset Bar owned by Russel is a good place to organise trips

I can recommend both. Look them up on trip advisor. Some good restaurants within walking distance - pretty quiet so dont expect Patong. We came back on Monday after our sixth visit.

RC

3. TheIronDuke

Cheers. Will check them out. The Memsahib has just booked some self catering gaff because she got sick of me farting about. Will hire a Suzuki jeep and scare Septics who are not used to driving on the correct side of the road.

That sunset bar is fab. So long as you dont lean over to see what its propped up on.

4. Don't be tempted to hire a scooter, you may just need one of these tsunami survivors to go bush when confronted with car overtaking scooter overtaking tuk-tuk overtaking bus overtaking truck combo's heading towards you :)

[​IMG]

5. If you do go to Panwa Cape drop me a line and I will give you the Gen - Save you wasting time discovering the simpler things ie who will put your towel out on the beach in the morning, where to get the laundry done and where to stock the fridge from.
    It is as far opposite Patong as you can get, pretty quiet but not so far away that you cant get out and have fun if the needs takes you.
    Enjoy your trip
    Ting Tong

6. TheIronDuke

Cheers. I'll drop you a PM in a month or two if thats OK. I can suss local stuff like laundry and shops and that, but if you know of anybody who will hire me a Suzuki Jeep or similar, for 3 weeks, without taking my eyes out, I should be obliged.

Brakes, steering and tyres with treads preferred.

Thanks.

7. TheIronDuke

Yeah, I hired one of those once. When you open the windows they make a horrible banging noise in the back. And you always get the feeling you should have a wheeler in the back. To balance it.

They are a step down from the coloured Jeeps that tossers hire in Patong.

I'd rather hire a long-tail boat and mount it on a Tuk-Tuk

8. Anybody found any cheapish flights? LHR -BKK - HKT ?
    Looking pricey at the moment

9. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

10. Thanks but the fare is more than a package - which includes transfer BKK-HKT and R&B. Might have to wait until Thai bring out their new schedule

11. TheIronDuke

I hear BA have some cracking deals. Check their website for details.

12. Thai bring out their new charges in a few days. If you can stand the ropey old 747-400 at least it is a direct flight.
    Sawasdee Khap

13. Have a peek at this SITE.

Its a good guide if nothing else.