Whats in the bag?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Professor, Sep 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the Telegraph today the Deputy Chief Defence Capability said that every soldier, sailor and airman deploying to theatre gets a bag containing £3500 worth of kit. Did I get a different bag from everyone else as mine appeared to contain about £350 worth of kit. If anyone has a price list could they please advise.

Initial thoughts are Helmet and Osprey - £1200 (?)

2. £350?? More like £3.50 :D I particuarly like that chippy black daysack that looks like it was made by a blind monkey! Total pump!! :D

3. You get one of those black day sacks when you come through an ATR as a crow these days!

4. Are these at Silverman's prices?

5. Its true, £350 of kit, and £3150 of broken promises.

6. IIRC;
    3 x trousers/shirt/UBACS/tshirts
    1 x windproof jacket
    1 x windproof trousers
    Pair Lowa/Meindl
    5 x socks/knickers (pair of)
    Goggles
    Ballistic glasses
    Camelbak
    Jungle bag
    Dessie Gortex
    Sh*t kneepads
    Mark 6a
    CBA

Where's the other £2k gone?

7. The admiral said the bag of 'stuff' was worth £3,500 - not £350 and not £3.50.

Will someone say which is the true figure?

My guess is, with the monocular oaf controlling the purse strings, is £3.50.

What is in these 'black bags'. Taxc-payers paid for them so we are entitled to be told.

PS: Who is Vice Admiral Palmer and how many tours on the ground has he done in Afghanistan?

PPS: Sorry, I didn't 'twig' the post above.

8. Given that defence procurement has a history of buying things at inflated prices, you've probably got £350 of goods that the MoD was daft enough to pay £3,500 for.

And don't forget, it costs a lot of money to put everything through a trials process to ensure that it doesn't interfere with the L/R wiper blade action - or so jim30 says.

9. Just make sure that you sign an itemised 1033, not one that says "Kit to value of £3500."