What's happening to The Corps?

Thought with all the chages to The Corps things where moving in the right direction.
But seems the reserve units are off loading people very quickly?
With relocation of units will the reserve units flourish or go down hill?
Seems that it's all going the wrong way?

spaz

LE
What changes to the Corps are you referring to?

Most of the pids for our reservists are being binned/relocated. Of course this will prompt many to transfer or leave.

E

EScotia

Thought with all the chages to The Corps things where moving in the right direction.
But seems the reserve units are off loading people very quickly?
With relocation of units will the reserve units flourish or go down hill?
Seems that it's all going the wrong way?
So you think binning all the REME Reserve at 1st Line, binning all the PSI's, binning all the NRPS, creating new Wksp Coy's/Bn's (and subsequently more PIDs for officers) whilst most units increase their vehicle and equipment holdings due to the Ops drawdown without increasing the number of civvy fitters to replace the Reserves is moving the Corps in the right direction?

Forgot to add:

before creating any new or increased equipment tables for the updated/new REME Reserve Bn's and advising them to trawl units for all their toolboxes, workshop equipment and special tools instead of the equipment table sponsor raising issue orders to losing units.

Also forgot to add:

without increasing the number of trade courses/promotion courses, driving licence acquisition course (or increasing the funding).

Also forgot to add:

and paying for DSG to create a team/teams to inspect, repair or modify weapons at first line at more cost per month compared to what it would have cost per year just by keeping Armourers at 1st Line Reserve units?

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot the one about making existing permanent staff redundant when there's jobs for them to "map" into in the new structure, the same jobs that are now having to be advertised.

We've never needed (or wanted) a union in the past, however times change.

I'll just leave that one hanging there.......;)

I think you will find that SPSI's are being gapped, NRPS being made redundant & Civilian staff being re-rolled.
If thats good in your mind then that's why the Reserves will never get the man power they need!
Relocation may sound good until you find out the % of the man power you will loose through it.

E

EScotia

I think you will find that SPSI's are being gapped, NRPS being made redundant & Civilian staff being re-rolled.
If thats good in your mind then that's why the Reserves will never get the man power they need!
Relocation may sound good until you find out the % of the man power you will loose through it.
PSI's are not being gapped at all as their parent Reserve unit's are changing or having their 8005's amended by removing the PID's under direction from the Corps.

NRPS are indeed being made redundant, after the NRPS redundancy legislation was changed to give them a maximum of 12 months pay as a redundancy settlement. Compared to some civilian jobs this can be seen as quite generous, unfortunately the way the Corps has conducted this "Night of the long knives" shows exactly what the Corps hierarchy thinks of the people who have represented them. As an aside; a few months ago I wrote a letter to the Cfn mag challenging the article by Col REME Reserves. He hasn't responded to the editor who sent my letter for him to read and respond. Despite being reminded he still hasn't bothered to respond. Says everything about the current REME hierarchy really doesn't it?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...120809_NRPSRedunancySchemeRegulations2012.pdf

As for civilian staff, the Corps are currently attempting to "harmonise" job specifications through Support Command sending out new job descriptions to affected units. These job descriptions are basically a cut & paste of those used for REME Reserve Bn civilian staff and have not been discussed, let alone agreed, by the Trade Unions. Stand by for a little resistance to change!

Relocation sounds easy, but certainly in my old area Scotland it isn't. The Reserve REME personnel are being asked to relocate to the Central belt. Look at Scotland and draw a line from Glasgow to Edinburgh then look how far it is from the Borders to the Central Belt and from Inverness/Aberdeen to the Central Belt. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself a question, could I honestly put in the hours/days necessary to be a worthwhile part of the unit/Reserve and with the lack of time to commit to the job would I ever have anything like a Reserve career? Only then will you realise that in Scotland this cunning plan will strongly restrict the recruiting of REME Reserve personnel to a very narrow area, potentially hugely reducing the pool of potential volunteers.

Once the dust has settled, the Bn's have a good idea about what manpower they can rely on and map it to their 8005, the training schedules have been revised and the ability to train the right people for the right PID has been miraculously provided with the non-existent money it needs to succeed and a few decades have passed to allow the bitterness to pass and those behind this cunning plan have moved onto pastures new (no doubt with promotion and honours presented) then, and only then, will this current plan stand any chance of succeeding.

You may take from this that I'm not a fan of the change.

E

EScotia

And yet again another month goes by with a REME senior officer refusing to engage over the debacle that is the reorg of the REME Reserve by refusing to respond to a letter to the Cfn Editor. As promised in another thread, here is my letter:

COMMENT ON ARTICLE BY COLONEL I** A****S, COLONEL REME RESERVES

Despite being medically discharged in Feb 2012 after more than 35 years’ service (consisting of regular, TA, FTRS then NRPS) I try to maintain a healthy interest in the Corps and what it gets up to, particularly the Reserve element. My last appointment was as an NRPS WO2 with 225 (Scottish) Medical Regiment based in Dundee with dependant Sqns in Glenrothes, Sunderland and Leicester so I remain keenly interested in the Corps across Scotland and England.

Last year I was made aware of rumours relating to the breakup of LADs and attached REME personnel by various people from my last unit and others so I set about trying to find out what the facts were. I failed miserably, mainly due to no-one thinking of putting all relevant information in one place easy to access for regulars, reservists and Veterans e.g. ArmyNet, and I also expect the key people I had contacted were being affected adversely by the changes and therefore focusing on their own futures instead of replying to emails from an old git! I therefore trawled ArmyNet, something it seems few people in the Corp hierarchy apart from the CASM do, and the Army Rumour Service. All I could find was posts on the Army Rumour Service from NRPS personnel who appeared to be only a little more informed than me.

The discussion entitled “Kept in the Dark” in the REME forum of The Army Rumour Service does not auger well for the passage of information within the Reserve part of the Corps, nor for the treatment of some long serving Permanent Staff and the actual Reserve Personnel at First Line. I therefore very strongly recommend all REME staff involved in the planning, preparation and implementation of these changes take a few minutes to read the complete discussion and take on board, if nothing else, that the passage of information and involvement of those people affected has been extremely poor to date. It was however good to see in the discussion that some people, despite the imminent changes to their livelihoods, remain positive. I got to post #70 and then waited patiently for my Welfare copy of our Corps magazine to read the article by Colonel Ian Adkins, Colonel REME Reserves, so I could read his “insights” into the changes.

To say I was disappointed with the Craftsman article would be an understatement, particularly as it appears he couldn’t be bothered to include the NRPS, some of them very long serving, who will be losing their jobs along with the FTRS officers and SNCOs. I think the Colonel should have saved space in the magazine and just posted the following from paragraph 1 “I cannot allay any* concerns in this article however I hope to acknowledge them and put them into a positive and broader context with some clear messages from me to our reservists.”

As a final point (for now), as the Reserves are supposed to mirror the Regular Corps, does it therefore follow that REME at 1st Line in the Regular Army is to be cut too?

*My replacement for the Colonels use of the word all.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Are REME head shed praying for a "Yes" vote later this month?

It as if on one hand they want the Reserve REME units to be better?
But on the other hand with less resources & man power to run it on day/nights without Reserve Soldiers.
The Corps has lost the plot and no wonder civilian staff are leaving as most are re-rolling or re-applying for there own jobs, it seems perhaps the CoC dont hold much hope for the reserve elements!

E

EScotia

It as if on one hand they want the Reserve REME units to be better?
But on the other hand with less resources & man power to run it on day/nights without Reserve Soldiers.
The Corps has lost the plot and no wonder civilian staff are leaving as most are re-rolling or re-applying for there own jobs, it seems perhaps the CoC dont hold much hope for the reserve elements!
I have no doubt that whoever came up with the cunning plan believed it would improve the Reserve element of the Corps, no-one deliberately sets out to destroy something that works. It is becoming more obvious as time goes by however that either they didn't properly think through what they were doing, didn't engage thoroughly with Reserve units or output providing REME Reserve personnel, or just decided to decimate the Reserve at 1st line in order to save some PIDs and return them to the regular part of the Corps to beef up their strength post redundancies whilst creating a career path for the Reserve officers the new plan will need.

The REME Reserve at 1st and 2nd line has provided great value for money over the years but I fail to see how the removal of 1st line personnel to 2nd line can do anything other than frustrate Reserve personnel as they will have little or no practical work to complete (apart from doing the Regulars' work at BATUS/BATUK), find themselves in dead mans shoes promotion wise and find it difficult if not impossible to get on trade, career, driving or promotional courses.

Of course I could be wrong and I'm not fully aware of what it is the Corps is attempting to create, but then again the passage of information and engagement with those affected has been the worst I've ever seen.

Latest Threads