What's happened to Gen X?

I don't know what has happened to Generation X, but I have figured out a few things we are immune from...
  • Gaslighting - a swift "feck off or I'll smack you" usually works
  • Female Gen Xs know how to banter with men without feeling emotionally abused
  • We don't need a safe space - anywhere we are is a safe space
Feel free to add more.

their grandfathers fought the Kaiser, their fathers fought the nazis, no one told them about saturated fats or the dangers of smoking and we dont know we were born

I think just getting older makes you more resilient, grumpy and independent. I suspect the "snowflakes" of today will start businesses, families, buy homes and all of the other stuff we did. According to Churchill's maxim they have till they're Forty to stop being mongs.

I think just getting older makes you more resilient, grumpy and independent. I suspect the "snowflakes" of today will start businesses, families, buy homes and all of the other stuff we did. According to Churchill's maxim they have till they're Forty to stop being mongs.
That assumes that they will first come to terms with the fact that, for the overwhelming majority, being a reality star, a rap artist or a YouTube influencer is not a realistic career aspiration and that having a 2:2 in media studies will not put them at the front of the queue.

i think that's because you need to **** up a number of times before you get there. some will be a bit slower on the uptake and need to **** up a lot.

i was an absolute bomb scare until my mid 20's and even then i still clung on to my predilection for mayhem whilst on the sauce for quite some time (i wouldnt say it's entirely left me). when i look at what some might call "snowflakes" of my acquaintance they seem more squared away than i was at that their age so as you say they're going to go forward like any other generation.

i just dont understand where all the grief millennials get comes from to be honest. similar to @redshift i'm 36 and i cant say i really see myself as being in the same bracket as the people the daily mail is constantly banging on about, maybe no one does and it's just a bullshit straw man created to give something for people to rail against and sell papers.

I think just getting older makes you more resilient, grumpy and independent.

In a week, I hit 69, ( No jokes please) all the above statement is very true, resilient to the boomer sarcastic comments, and piss taking, grumpy with half educated pricks, and spotty little prats at the checkouts who call me "Mate" condescending patronising shop assistants, twats in cars that travel at exactly 29.5 MPH. On the up side, the wisdom of age and experience has the edge over know it all teens, and cnuts who think white hair, and a walking stick is a good target, its amazing what a steel walking stick( Hand made from a section of 20mm steel electrical conduit) can do to a set of scroats plums when brandished with both hands! ( walking the local canals tow path, one such low life tried it on, pain is a good deterrent)

That assumes that they will first come to terms with the fact that, for the overwhelming majority, being a reality star, a rap artist or a YouTube influencer is not a realistic career aspiration and that having a 2:2 in media studies will not put them at the front of the queue.
how many kids have you met who are serious about pursuing careers as reality stars, rap artists or influencers? i'm sure they exist but i think they're in a vanishingly small minority. didnt everyone born in the 50's/60's want to be an astronaut?

Reading Bomber Boys by Patrick Bishop he quotes Leonard Cheshire he calls the oxford fops as worthless after they passed a motion that this Uni would not fight for king and country in 1938.
A year later...............................................
Or to put it another way, I was a prat as a teenager but mostly grew up.

how many kids have you met who are serious about pursuing careers as reality stars, rap artists or influencers? i'm sure they exist but i think they're in a vanishingly small minority. didnt everyone born in the 50's/60's want to be an astronaut?

I was Born in 1950, our hero's were the steam train drivers. Robin hood, Casey Jones ,and Davy crocket, on Black and white 405 line TV. Pop artists of the calibre of the early 60's didn't really exist, ditto the fashion world for teenagers., That left film stars, mostly American. politics was a different country, as was commerce and industry, the majority of working class lads followed their fathers into what ever they done, with few exceptions, Alan sugar is a good example. Many who were called up for national service, (Abandoned in December 1960. ) stayed in, as there was no future in the depressed north east, and the south west.

The girls went into the NHS, offices, or local factories, the fashion business for teens never really took of until the mid 60's, with the explosion of Carnaby street for the working classes, and BIBA in Kensington, for the jet set. Pop music was restricted to 2 hours once a week on radio Luxemburg on Sunday afternoon. The BBC had no such service. Wimpy bars was all their was In the way of American style fast food, and Chinese and Indian restaurants were few and far between, all in all it was a very grey, depressing, and boring existence, until the Beatles came along, and that is where it all changed, the rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:
I had a pal at primary school who wanted to be a German (the goose-stepping, let's invade Poland type). Bit of a character. He'd be the only Indian brave in a playground that was over-subscribed with US cavalry troopers astride imaginary horses, as well. He later had aspirations of becoming a burglar.

An eccentric at eight years of age. I'm not quite sure what careers officers later on must have made of him.

I was Born in 1950, our hero's were the steam train drivers. Robin hood, Casey Jones ,and Davy crocket, on Black and white 405 line TV. Pop artists of the calibre of the early 60's didn't really exist, ditto the fashion word for teenagers., That left film stars, mostly American. politics was a different country, as was commerce and industry, the majority of working class lads followed their fathers into what ever they done, with few exceptions, Alan sugar is a good example. Many who were called up for national service, (Abandoned in December 1960. ) stayed in, as there was no future in the depressed north east, and the south west.

The girls went into the NHS, offices, or local factories, the fashion business for teens never really took of until the mid 60's, with the explosion of Carnaby street for the working classes, and BIBA in Kensington, for the jet set. Pop music was restricted to 2 hours once a week on radio Luxemburg on Sunday afternoon. The BBC had no such service. Wimpy bars was all their was In the way of American style fast food, and Chinese and Indian restaurants were few and far between, all in all it was a very grey, depressing, and boring existence, until the Beatles came along, and that is where it all changed, the rest, as they say, is history.
My dad was born in 1954 and wanted to be a fireman growing up, in the end he went into engineering. I always wanted to be in the army* and although my dad suggested I do geology at uni (I enjoyed it at higher) I chose engineering and have spent my career working in various types of industry. Interestingly enough my eldest wants to be a fireman; I’m curious to see whether or not he’ll end up an engineer or if he’ll make his millions selling makeup on YouTube.

I started of writing this with the intention of saying no one follows their fathers** into jobs anymore but it turns out this is bollocks (despite, possibly, their fathers best efforts)

*until I realised I didn’t

**my dads dad was a tailor but only because his mother “didn’t want another dirty arsed engineer in the family”

Mike Barton

War Hero
I agree, I have no idea why today's young people get so much grief, compared to the borderline whackjob I was at their age I think today's young people are much better adjusted.

I was at a wedding back home a year or two back. The wedding was on a Friday but the celebrations kind of continued all weekend, it was held in a family place down by the sea. I was amazed at the lads in their twenties, how together and mature they were. They were up bright and breezy, all eager to get into wet suits and get the boats out. Others were taking the opportunity to practice their golf swing, they set up their own challenge to see who could hit some rocks off shore.

Golf? At their age I wouldn't have known one end of a golf club from the other, golf was what oul' farts like our teachers or bank managers played. We didn't play golf, we got shit faced on cheap cider and Special Brew. In fact it was noticeable that the only ones cracking open the beers that sunny afternoon were blokes like me and my brother, all in our fifties, and all hunched, bleary-eyed over our recuperative ales.

Same with my kids, teenagers, sure they spend a lot of time on their gadgets, a bit like I was glued to any old shite on the TV in the 70s and 80s but on the whole they are a likeable bunch, relaxed and easygoing with a sharp sense of the absurdity of their own age. They aren't interested in alcohol, they have female friends with whom they are relaxed and respect. They also don't seem to spend their lives obsessed about sticking their hands up the girls' blouses or down their panties like I did at their age, although I dare say they will see and enjoy real-life vaginas and breasts much earlier than I did in my life when the only chance we got of seeing such things was by desperately renting grimy videos on a Friday night.

I believe the millennials will probably do a better job of running the world than my fukked-up, beer-sodden, repressed, intellectually restricted generation has managed so far.

I believe the millennials will probably do a better job of running the world than my fukked-up, beer-sodden, repressed, intellectually restricted generation has managed so far.
You're wasting your time trying to get down with the kids and desperately attempting to ingratiate yourself with them. It's embarrassingly demeaning and the end result will be that not only are you 'that silly old twat' but you will now also be 'that creepy, silly old twat'.

Just watching a BBC4 doco on Woodstock (1969). Apart from the typical festival mixture of good and dodgy music, as this concentrates very much on the crowd rather than the performers, I'm struck by how negligible the numbers of overweight, let alone complete bloater size, people there are, in what I'd assume was a reasonable demographic (if not ideological) cross section of US society.

Latest Threads