What's happened to Gen X?

The media are full of imprecations to the Baby Boomer generation; you know, the generation which Kevin-the-Teenager Millennials insist sulkily 'ruined our lives'. But what of Generation X? (Before some bright spark says, "Well, Bill Idol went off and did his own thing, didn't he?", I'm referring to the generation born between the mid '60s and mid '80s). You never hear anything of them.

Are they a forgotten, uncomplaining generation who are just quietly getting on with it? Or are they so deadly dull that the progeny of an entire twenty year period have been filed away, completely disregarded. Perhaps their music or fashions were just shit. Perhaps they had nothing to say and what little they did say was easily ignored.

There must be a fair few Gen Xers on here... but are the rest of us willing and able to listen to what they have to say?

oppoStu

War Hero
They're the grumpy ones complaining about the baby boomers and millennials!

Guess us lot are just too busy self-loathing to care about whinging about gen-X ey - better post that selfie for some much needed stranger appreciation.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But what of Generation X?

Y?

35-55?
Probably too busy earning money, finishing off the kids upbringing, thinking about a hobby or two and wondering what they will be doing when they are supposed to retire.
Oh, and some will be looking at the fat mess they married and wondering when it will be safe to have an affair.

No real time left for complaining......except about the lazy, useless millennials. :)

Perhaps their music or fashions were just shit.

There must be a fair few Gen Xers on here... but are the rest of us willing and able to listen to what they have to say?
Yes, the Gen X generation must bear the blame of making bell bottoms and tie dye t-shirts fashionable once again, as we puffed away on clove cigarettes and listening to Seattle grunge as we tended our dreadlocks.

Edit to add: Can't forget the celtic knot tattoos

Good question. I think they just get on with it.

I’m ten years before GenX but the missus is one, as was the last missus. Sometimes they looked at me as if I was speaking Urdu when I refer to things they have no knowledge of. I counter with a look of pity.

They missed the sixties, missed punk, mostly got shit music, crap fashion, crap fast food, crap cars (but safer ones), overwhelmed with legislation (mostly knee jerk - killer dogs, guns etc), political correctness (although I am a big fan of polite correctness), environmentally straitjacketed blah blah blah.

Maybe they all topped themselves.

oppoStu

War Hero
Oh, and some will be looking at the fat mess they married and wondering when it will be safe to have an affair.
Good thing @redshift didn't successfully merge us with Mumsnet, Mrs Skunk would be fuuuming seeing as she lost about a stone in sweat last time we met up.

We got grey (or bald), overweight, and have high blood pressure and/or diabetes.
We are still paying off huge mortgages and have probably hit our ceiling at work but don’t understand colleagues in their 20s, who are alien to us. I am old enough to be the father of the airhead barmaid in my local, which is about as depressing as it sounds. And the guvmit says I don’t get my pension for about another 20 years.
Thank the gods I don’t have kids.

My son is Gen X - he is 40 next year and is too busy with work, worrying about his family and raising my grandchildren to have time to complain.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
The reason nobody hears much from us "X-ers" is because we don't have much to whinge about.

We missed out on post-war rationing, misery,, antiquated laws, enforced family fun at some shite holiday park in the UK, pressure cookers, shite food, low pay, pre-decimal coinage and the SLR....

...were lucky enough to know what life was like before becoming a slave to the smart phone, days before the internet, branching out with package holidays in Spain with an exchange rate of like, a million potatoes for a pound note. Or something. Drive an XR3i and think you were the dogs, witness some of the best music ever heard in several generations (Oasis, Blur, Prodigy, Primal Scream, InXS, Nirvana etc).

And born early enough to avoid being a snowflake Gen Z or selfish Millenial and not be offended by every single thing we see, hear or read.

In short, we seem to have been born just at the right time.

We are the ones that raised the Millennials, it's all our fault.

I am always at work and generally, we are the children who were leaving school in the thatcher era and anyone born outside the SE bubble were facing a very harsh world. We learned very quickly, that whinging gets you nowhere and we are a resilient bunch.... Given I have known about this site for decades, its only now do I even bother to have a moan about things, because of my steely eyed rep in the real world.

Sorry - too busy getting on with work/life to comment! :)

We are making the world turn whilst the Baby Boomers are on their Saga cruises and Millenials are sucking all of the oxygen out of the air. Hopefully Gen Z will see a backlash against the virtue signaling cnuts and a return to achievement being valued above victimhood.

oppoStu

War Hero
We are making the world turn whilst the Baby Boomers are on their Saga cruises and Millenials are sucking all of the oxygen out of the air. Hopefully Gen Z will see a backlash against the virtue signaling cnuts and a return to achievement being valued above victimhood.
Wouldn't hold your breath, they are more self-absorbed than millennials are.

Good question. I think they just get on with it.

I’m ten years before GenX but the missus is one, as was the last missus. Sometimes they looked at me as if I was speaking Urdu when I refer to things they have no knowledge of. I counter with a look of pity.

They missed the sixties, missed punk, mostly got shit music, crap fashion, crap fast food, crap cars (but safer ones), overwhelmed with legislation (mostly knee jerk - killer dogs, guns etc), political correctness (although I am a big fan of polite correctness), environmentally straitjacketed blah blah blah.

Maybe they all topped themselves.
No, we are working hard, raising kids, putting them through university and deciding where the cheapest nursing home is so we can shut the dementia-riddled Baby Boomers away to have their arses wiped by the Millennial care staff, and to forget about them until it's time to arrange the funeral. Then we inherit the Baby Boomer's money.

Enjoy.

I was born in 1982 so a fraction out of being Gen X and in with the first wave of generation Y, the last generation to know what life was like before the internet and mobile phones, but also the generation that got to enjoy the huge revolution those technologies brought in their early days when we were in our late teens and before they caused an entire generation to become so self absorbed. Whilst there are a lot of slackers in my generation I also feel that we are very different to generation Z with regards to work ethic and entitlement.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I was born in 1982 so a fraction out of being Gen X and in with the first wave of generation Y, the last generation to know what life was like before the internet and mobile phones, but also the generation that got to enjoy the huge revolution those technologies brought in their early days when we were in our late teens and before they caused an entire generation to become so self absorbed. Whilst there are a lot of slackers in my generation I also feel that we are very different to generation Z with regards to work ethic and entitlement.
Err... I hate to break it to you, but you're a millennial, bud!

It's to do with what year you came of age as opposed to when you were born. There was no "Gen Y"

Lost, Greatest, Silent, Baby, Gen X, Millenial, Gen Z

...commiserations.

Latest Threads