Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's gone wrong with British policing?

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
True, but what about things such as public safety duties, traffic control, responding to traffic accidents, dealing with emergencies, crime and accident prevention education....

Many posters speak of the way that people had more respect for the Police in the old days, but what do they expect the Police to do to be respected?
RE traffic control, Mum used to run marathons, both the main yearly one and clubs ones. Being the way she is, she was always well involved in running it. The police used to do traffic management (im talking local club marathons now) for a fee, but dont do it now. Its all run through private companies (albeit ones that are generally reputable and have ex police in). So for a lot of events, they no longer do traffic control (in mums experience, she deals with Kent police)

Appearance wise our coppers have adopted the attempted action man look favoured by police forces around the world - a belt full of kit, paramilitary style clothes and baseball caps. The difference is that in other countries the police are armed and in many case dont have the "policing by consent" philosophy - An armed bloke acting under the umbrella of law enforcement with the legal right to hurt you or kill you justifies the military style garb. The same bloke (minus firearm) taking a knee with a rainbow painted on his cheeks just looks a bit silly - doesn't engender respect and respect for the police is all but dead in my kids generation.

And even worse is the physical state of far too many British Police, more Telly Tubby than Telly Bobby

AY8165531115-fatcoppers-Rea.gif

If you are going to dress like action man, at least make an effort to look the part physically

d2b158fc2d3f1cab1ec9fd6948437c00.jpg

Yokel

LE
RE traffic control, Mum used to run marathons, both the main yearly one and clubs ones. Being the way she is, she was always well involved in running it. The police used to do traffic management (im talking local club marathons now) for a fee, but dont do it now. Its all run through private companies (albeit ones that are generally reputable and have ex police in). So for a lot of events, they no longer do traffic control (in mums experience, she deals with Kent police)

On Monday afternoon I was caught in a local flash flood. I had popped into town and whilst there the heavens opened. I have rarely seen rain this bad. Visibility was terrible. There was free water running down the road, and a couple of roundabouts were more like moats. It was not my idea of care free motoring.

The Police managed roads, closed some, and were performing safety roles. Who, apart from the Police, could do that with no notice?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Terrible news this morning a police officer shot dead in a custody centre in Croydon at 0215 this morning.
Sounds like a prisoner then turned gun on himself and is in critical condition.
How a prisoner got a gun into a police station is beyond me, but I’m not going to say anything else now but something has gone very very wrong.
Very sad RIP.

NSP

LE
Terrible news this morning a police officer shot dead in a custody centre in Croydon at 0215 this morning.
How a prisoner got a gun into a police station is beyond me, but I’m not going to say anything else now but something has gone very very wrong.
Very sad RIP.
BBC saying no police weapons were fired, so it's all a bit odd.
Dedicated thread here:-

Very sad RIP.

It's Woke politics that have caused this, they literally have blood on their hands

Nothing to do with the only stabbings down here been carried out by BAME types coming down from London, including the mass stabbing incident on Bournemouth Pier when the press were only concerned with social distancing issues.

Nothing to do with the only stabbings down here been carried out by BAME types coming down from London, including the mass stabbing incident on Bournemouth Pier when the press were only concerned with social distancing issues.

This proves a hidden racist agenda to arrest black people for no reason or that black people are committing more crimes.

Which is more likely ?