Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's gone wrong with British policing?

Yokel

LE
Perhaps instead of just complaining that the Police have changed and are not like they used to be, why not suggest changes to improve their ability to deter, detect, and solve crime, and to reassure and assist the public?

More presence on the street?
More assertive dealings with the public?
Change of uniform?
More or less equipment?

Each proposed change could then be discussed.

Bob65

War Hero
Perhaps instead of just complaining that the Police have changed and are not like they used to be, why not suggest changes to improve their ability to deter, detect, and solve crime, and to reassure and assist the public?

More presence on the street?
More assertive dealings with the public?
Change of uniform?
More or less equipment?

Each proposed change could then be discussed.

I think what most people want is that the police do not do anything else, anything at all, except nick villains. When (in no particular order) rape, burglary, mugging, murder, vandalism etc are near-zero, then they can go dancing. I mean, it’s pretty simple, they just need to do the job we pay them for and that they signed up for.

Any changes to uniforms, equipment, etc flow naturally from this once this is the priority.

Yokel

LE
True, but what about things such as public safety duties, traffic control, responding to traffic accidents, dealing with emergencies, crime and accident prevention education....

Many posters speak of the way that people had more respect for the Police in the old days, but what do they expect the Police to do to be respected?

I was having a wee catch up, but skipped a lot of posts. As you must know by now, I have worn the badge, and on courses at HQ, eaten the shit core meal.
PCs: no one gives a ****. I left in 2000, listening to this, nothing has changed. I know you have pensions (important) but the rest; who cares?
I am going to sound like a fifth columnist, but...why would you?
Your bosses don’t care, the Government doesn’t care, why would you?

Bob65

War Hero
what do they expect the Police to do to be respected?

Apply the law evenly “without fear or favour”. And be very, very firmly on the side of law-abiding taxpayers, and demonstrate it by word and deed. Normal people and criminals/anarchists alike have no respect for the police for exactly the same reasons, and the police entirely brought it on themselves.

I reckon it started in the 70's. When I was a teenager I was part of a fairly 'boisterous' group that occasionally got in trouble at football matches. We weren't football hooligans, but we were on the fringes. However, if a policeman told us to do something we did it. We were, basically, a bit scared of them. After 6 years serving Q&C I started going to football again (in a more sedate manner) in the late 70's and something had changed. Kids would openly defy the police & tell them to "**** off". They didn't seem to be scared of them any more.

Into the 70's my FIL was a village bobby in Bedforshire. Standard practice, drop thruppences into the fingers of the issue gloves. Use same to flick the ears of youthful miscreants rather than arrest and present to magistrates...
Told off for his arrest record... pointed out there was no crime in his village. Ex RM, served on HMS Gambia then in SBS. Identified all the village villains and told them do it somewhere else or you'll get fucked up.. with angelic innocent face asked Inspecting officer "isn't our job to prevent crime?"

endure

GCM
True, but what about things such as public safety duties, traffic control, responding to traffic accidents, dealing with emergencies, crime and accident prevention education....

Many posters speak of the way that people had more respect for the Police in the old days, but what do they expect the Police to do to be respected?

People had respect for feared the Police in the old days because they knew that the Police regularly broke the law they were sworn to uphold by committing common assault (aka a clip round the ear)...

I think what most people want is that the police do not do anything else, anything at all, except nick villains. When (in no particular order) rape, burglary, mugging, murder, vandalism etc are near-zero, then they can go dancing. I mean, it’s pretty simple, they just need to do the job we pay them for and that they signed up for.

Any changes to uniforms, equipment, etc flow naturally from this once this is the priority.

What about missing children, suicidal people on bridges, sudden deaths that aren’t suspicious, weather related road incidents, road traffic collisions, house entries for ambulance, noise complaints, helping mental health professionals execute S 135 MHA Warrants, licensing checks, non crime domestic disputes where police are called and thousands of other scenarios that have fallen to police as the service of last resort after a decade of public sector cuts, which aren’t crime?

Did I mention, Covid quarantine checks for The BA, or transporting extradition prisoners to airports or processing lost and found property and the like. Maybe you have a plan to get rid of all these, so that police can just deal with crime.

You obviously have another organisation lined up to take all that on or you wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Theresa May once said that Police only need to concentrate on crime. She only said it once before she realised what a naive ******** she was, who didn’t really know much about policing other than what her dogmatic stupidity echoed in her head.

What about missing children, suicidal people on bridges, sudden deaths that aren’t suspicious, weather related road incidents, road traffic collisions, house entries for ambulance, noise complaints, helping mental health professionals execute S 135 MHA Warrants, licensing checks, non crime domestic disputes where police are called and thousands of other scenarios that have fallen to police as the service of last resort after a decade of public sector cuts, which aren’t crime?

Did I mention, Covid quarantine checks for The BA, or transporting extradition prisoners to airports or processing lost and found property and the like. Maybe you have a plan to get rid of all these, so that police can just deal with crime.

You obviously have another organisation lined up to take all that on or you wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Theresa May once said that Police only need to concentrate on crime. She only said it once before she realised what a naive ******** she was, who didn’t really know much about policing other than what her dogmatic stupidity echoed in her head.

I finished work 3 hours ago. Last 10 999/101 calls I took were mainly COVID breach allegations - ex-partner sending a text message when previously asked not to contact, group of kids drinking in a park- that sort of shite.

Of all the 9's calls I took today..I'm actually struggling to think of one that actually constituted an emergency and- of the ones that did actually sound like an emergency- turned out to be a load of exagerrated bollocks just to ellicit a police response. I'd prefer that though than an 'active shooter' or the fosby flops off a motorway bridge.

What a coincidence- at the same time @wetsmonkey was typing his comment- I was pretty much saying the exact same thing on the riots thread...

I finished work 3 hours ago. Last 10 999/101 calls I took were mainly COVID breach allegations - ex-partner sending a text message when previously asked not to contact, group of kids drinking in a park- that sort of shite.

Of all the 9's calls I took today..I'm actually struggling to think of one that actually constituted an emergency and- of the ones that did actually sound like an emergency- turned out to be a load of exagerrated bollocks just to ellicit a police response. I'd prefer that though than an 'active shooter' or the fosby flops off a motorway bridge.

What a coincidence- at the same time @wetsmonkey was typing his comment- I was pretty much saying the exact same thing on the riots thread...

Move somewhere less pikey.

The left's long march though british institutions is what is wrong with the police today.

Mr_Baiter

War Hero
Appearance wise our coppers have adopted the attempted action man look favoured by police forces around the world - a belt full of kit, paramilitary style clothes and baseball caps. The difference is that in other countries the police are armed and in many case dont have the "policing by consent" philosophy - An armed bloke acting under the umbrella of law enforcement with the legal right to hurt you or kill you justifies the military style garb. The same bloke (minus firearm) taking a knee with a rainbow painted on his cheeks just looks a bit silly - doesn't engender respect and respect for the police is all but dead in my kids generation.

Chef

LE
Apply the law evenly “without fear or favour”. And be very, very firmly on the side of law-abiding taxpayers, and demonstrate it by word and deed. Normal people and criminals/anarchists alike have no respect for the police for exactly the same reasons, and the police entirely brought it on themselves.

That would be a good starting point.